- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Knife brandished at police during two hour stand off
Revelations that four councillors left a key health meeting before a final vote have sparked widespread anger
Economy should be top priority for Government says social attitudes survey