- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A petition calling on the council to scrap plans for an extra lane on main route through Carlisle, has been signed by more than 1000 people.
A multi-million pound scheme to protect Dumfries from flooding looks set to go to a public inquiry.
Our wet end to June continues.