- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A shoplifting pensioner who threatened supermarket staff with a knife as he tried to flee has been sent to prison
According to Cumbria Police, motorcyclists have the highest rate of collisions and casualties per mile travelled
Three brothers from Cumbria have become the first people to swim across the two biggest and most powerful whirlpools in the world.