- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Weather warnings tell us to prepare for snow and ice.
A senior coroner has ruled that 13-month-old Poppi Worthington, was sexually abused by her father, Paul, before her death.
The research will detail how remaining in the European single market and the customs union would be the least damaging option for the UK.