- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A soggy start to the Christmas week will be slow to clear.
Continuing cloudy and mild with outbreaks of rain, heavy at times over Galloway
Cloudy with outbreaks of rain, heaviest in west