- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.
ITV Border's John Ballard, author of '10 Greatest Ships of the Royal Navy', provides the context and background of the Battle of Jutland
After her mother was ran over by a car, Peter and Iona Pennington saved the life of 'Twiggy' the fawn, who they've now adopted...