- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Gales continuing during Tuesday with heavy showers, wintry over hills. Wintry showers and clear spells bring the risk of ice overnight
Today marks 200 years since the revised version of Wordsworth's 'Daffodils' was published. We take a look at the man behind the poetry.
Andrew Lapping is heading a consortium investing over £1m in CUFC. Here's our profile on the man behind the money.