- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A new look for our political programme from Westminster - Paul Brand and guests consider Theresa May's vision for Brexit.
Calm but cloudy - but when will we see some sunshine?
Students and staff from the University of Cumbria have been forced to cancel a zoology research trip to Gambia, due to political unrest.