- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Pictures from the commemoration marking the centenary of the Quintinshill rail disaster, which killed more than 200 people, is underway.
The 100th anniversary of Britain's worst rail disaster will be commemorated at a special service today.
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.