- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
An earthquake measuring 1.7 on the Richter scale has been recorded in Cumbria.
A west Cumbrian man has been jailed for carrying out a knife attack.
Animal charity the Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after a dog suspected of being used for badger baiting was found abandoned.