- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Carlisle's flood victims are being invited to attend public events to give their views on a report into flooding in the city.
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.
Police in the Borders have arrested and charged two men with drugs offences.