- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A 34-year-old man has been jailed for 16 months, for possessing the most serious class of child porn - with some victims aged two-years-old.
A family from Dumfries say their lives have been turned upside down due to a number of failings made by staff in Ward 7 at DGRI.
Sunshine and showers on Saturday, occasionally heavy with thunder. Better day Sunday