- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Gary Naysmith's team lost out to an injury time goal against St Mirren. It's their seventh league defeat in a row.
A dangerous strain of bird flu circulating in Europe shouldn't mean turkey is off the menu at Christmas.
A year after last winter's floods, many residents are taking flood protection into their own hands.