- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
The weekend looks promising for most of the region.
More than one in four children starting school in Cumbria have excess weight and obesity, according to Cumbria's Director of Public Health.
The 20-year-old from Workington is alleged to have kept a handwritten diary with detailed instructions on how to make pipe bombs and napalm.