- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.
The two lucky winners beat 1,800 other entries from schools around the county.
A 17-year-old girl, who was about to start her first driving lesson, was rushed to hospital following a car accident.