- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Fourteen babies in the Border region were born on Saturday, the same day as her Royal Highness, Princess Charlotte.
Gatehouse of Fleet hosts exhibition of German-born architect who received a medal from Edinburgh College of Art this year.
Kendal town council wants to make Kendal the best destination for arts, culture and festivals in the rural North West.