- They are nocturnal so the chances of seeing them in the day is unlikely.
- They are most active at night.
- They are ground-living rodents.
- When feeling threatened, they run backwards and spike aggressors with their quills.
- A porcupine has more than 30,000 quills on its back, sides and tail.
- They tend to live in family groups and huddle together for warmth in the winter.
More top news
Copeland residents can expect a softer blend of tap water throughout this year.
Over 100 businesses have shown their interest in a 'transformational' £1million scheme, launched by Copeland Mayor, Mike Starkie.
An award-winning painter is giving artists in Cumbria the the chance to help him create his next piece of art this bank holiday weekend.