Firefighters are warning of the dangers of non-flame resistant furniture after a man was found dead following a house fire in the city.
Police and fire services were called to to the house on Newtown Close in the west of the city at around seven o clock last night.
A 68-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
He is thought to have died after an old chair quickly became engulfed in flames and smoke after a discarded match set fire to a waste paper bin.
More top news
The family of a Cumbrian who suffered a botched blood transfusion are furious there was no reference to compensation in the Spending Review.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is calling on householders across the south of Scotland to be aware of the danger of candle fires.
Do you know what's been happening in Cumbria and the south of Scotland over the past seven days? Test yourself in our weekly news quiz.