The Assistant Chief Fire Officer for Cumbria, Adrian Buckle, has described a house fire in Carlisle - in which a man died - as a tragedy which shows the dangers of not having fire retardant furniture.
“This tragedy highlights the important of fire retardant furniture, cushions and bedding.
“Fire can spread incredibly quickly and it takes hold much more rapidly if it catches older items that don’t conform to current fire safety standards.
“I’d urge people to check items around their home to make sure they are fire retardant and look at updating them if they’re not.
“Replacing out of date furniture does not need to be a major expense – many second hand furniture stores and social enterprises such as Impact, stock furniture that meets modern fire safety standards.”
More top news
An investigation shows humans need to think about the way they act around seagulls in a bid to curb their behaviour.
People in the south Cumbrian village of Staveley say they can't wait two years for a bridge damaged by Storm Desmond to be rebuilt.
With excitement building around the Rio Olympics, ITV is calling on sports clubs to help play their part in the nation's biggest sports day.