Carlisle City Council are encouraging everyone to remember to recycle this Christmas.
This time of year sees more waste produced than any other time of the year, with food waste playing a major part.
The council say we could save up to £50 buy storing and preserving food properly instead of throwing it out.
- If you're not using food straight away put it in the freezer
- Make sure you only make as much food as you actually need - but if you make double put some in the freezer for a quick fix dinner later
- Use your left overs - turn them into tasty treats the next day
- Plan your meals for the week, make a list of the ingredients you'll need and stick to it
- Double check your cupboards so you don't but anything twice.
- Check best before dates and eat things before they go out of date
- Keep your fridge at the correct temperature
More top news
Outbreaks of sleet or snow, breezy and turning very cold, the wind chill making temperatures feel like sub-zero. Warnings for snow and ice
Cumbria Police are looking to recruit more than 100 new police constables, just months after the force had been threatened by budget cuts.
The River Kent is being dredged again after more storms at the end of January washed up to 100 tonnes of gravel back downstream