Carlisle City Council are encouraging everyone to remember to recycle this Christmas.
This time of year sees more waste produced than any other time of the year, with food waste playing a major part.
The council say we could save up to £50 buy storing and preserving food properly instead of throwing it out.
- If you're not using food straight away put it in the freezer
- Make sure you only make as much food as you actually need - but if you make double put some in the freezer for a quick fix dinner later
- Use your left overs - turn them into tasty treats the next day
- Plan your meals for the week, make a list of the ingredients you'll need and stick to it
- Double check your cupboards so you don't but anything twice.
- Check best before dates and eat things before they go out of date
- Keep your fridge at the correct temperature
More top news
26-year-old David Harrison denies all charges alleging he sexually assaulted a female aged under 13 on a number of occasions.
ITV News presenter Pam Royle has spoken of being diagnosed with skin cancer and is now urging others to be aware of the disease.
Cumbria Police is urging farmers to stay alert following a number of burglaries and attempted burglaries at farms across Cumbria.