Carlisle City Council are encouraging everyone to remember to recycle this Christmas.
This time of year sees more waste produced than any other time of the year, with food waste playing a major part.
The council say we could save up to £50 buy storing and preserving food properly instead of throwing it out.
- If you're not using food straight away put it in the freezer
- Make sure you only make as much food as you actually need - but if you make double put some in the freezer for a quick fix dinner later
- Use your left overs - turn them into tasty treats the next day
- Plan your meals for the week, make a list of the ingredients you'll need and stick to it
- Double check your cupboards so you don't but anything twice.
- Check best before dates and eat things before they go out of date
- Keep your fridge at the correct temperature
More top news
Windy and colder. Rain or showers - some of which will be wintry on hills with some snow settling over highest ground. Some sunshine around
The Carlisle United Trust has voted overwhelmingly in favour of proposals to bring a £1.26 million investment to the club.
Cumbria Police has defended its decision to spend one £1.8 million on replacing traditional notebooks with new electronic devices.