Rail services are still closed across parts of the Cumbrian coast line due to the significant damage caused caused over the weekend by the storm and flooding.
There was significant damage at multiple locations:
- Sea defences and retaining walls have been washed away at several locations between Sellafield and Maryport
- 120 yards of track washed away at Flimby
- Lineside equipment and 600 yards of ballast washed away at Parton
- Kirkby-in-Furness station flooded plus damage to lineside equipment
- Braystones station completely flooded
- Debris on the railway at multiple locations
To allow Network Rail to repair the damage rail services were stopped.
Lines are now open between Barrow and Workington.Northern Rail will be operating replacement bus services.
More top news
Campaigners in West Cumbria fear more than 70 lives a year will be at risk if maternity services at West Cumberland Hospital are downgraded.
Paul Brand is joined by new Parliamentary candidates for a lively debate on the economy and immigration. Watch the programme here:
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.