Following the death of a dog in Cumbria after it consumed an electronic cigarette, the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association told ITV Border:
"We were saddened to hear of the death of a dog after it apparently ate or chewed on an electronic cigarette. Nicotine is quite poisonous to dogs, with a potential fatal dose being as little as 9mg per kilogramme, so a small amount of the liquid can be dangerous to a small or medium-sized dog.
For this reason it is very important that users keep e-cigs and the refills for them out of the reach of animals, and especially children. There is a legal requirement for labelling to warn users about the risks, and advise on the safe storage of these products.
We would echo the advice of the treating vet: users should “treat their e-cigarettes in the same way as they would medicines and keep them out of reach of dogs or anything else that might accidentally eat them”.
More top news
Residents in Copeland are being encouraged to share their views on local conservation areas, ahead of a "major investment on the borough".
26-year-old David Harrison denies all charges alleging he sexually assaulted a female aged under 13 on a number of occasions.
ITV News presenter Pam Royle has spoken of being diagnosed with skin cancer and is now urging others to be aware of the disease.