Laura McKirdy, a vet at Dalston-based Paragon Veterinary Group in Carlisle had to put down a dog which had chewed on its owner's cigarette device.
She said the dog she put down - which was a cross breed - showed signs of the effects of a nicotine overdose.
It had poor co-ordination and was sensitive to light, sound and touch.
She warned owners to treat their e-cigarettes in the same way as they would medicines and keep them out of reach of dogs or anything else that might accidentally eat them.
More top news
The SNP government is determined to press ahead with 'standardised testing' in schools across Scotland, despite teaching union opposition.
Many are hoping the good weather, the reopening of the A591 and uncertainty over some foreign travel could help boost visitor numbers.
The son of a Borders General surgeon was 'physically sick' as he watched his dad abuse his mother, after she said she was leaving him.