- Over 25% of people will need a blood transfusion at least once in their life
- Only 4% of adults are registered, regular donors
- 1,900,000 donations are make to blood banks each year
- One donation can help up to three people
- January is the busiest month for donations because of people's New Year's Resolutions
- 100 donations produce 47 litres of blood
- 14 June is World Blood Donor Day because it was the birthday of Karl Landsteiner who won the Nobel prize in 1930 for his discovery of human blood groups
- Only 2% of the UK population belong to the blood group B-
- The first successful blood transfusions took place between dogs in the 1660s.
- Britain’s first blood bank opened in Ipswich in 1937
You can find out more about National Blood Week by visiting the NHS Give Blood website.
More top news
Parent praises school for easing worries about London school trip
Shopkeeper was in parliament to receive rural hero award
Police warn about aggressive calls to demand large quantities of iTunes voucers