Police warn of possible asbestos in Carlisle fire

Police have warned people near a "significant" fire at a waste management site in Carlisle to stay indoors and close their windows, because there may be asbestos in the smoke.

Crews were called to the site shortly before 4pm. No one was injured.

View all 8 updates ›

No one thought to be injured in fire

The Cumbria Waste Management Centre is still on fire Credit: ITV News Border

No one is thought to be injured at the fire at the Cumbria Waste Management Centre, Kingmoor Road, in Carlisle.

Emergency services are still dealing with the fire and the road has been closed from the bypass, down to the junction at Hartley Avenue.

At this time no one is believed to have been injured.

Emergency services are urging people in the area to stay indoors and close their windows and doors to protect themselves from the smoke.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area and seek alternative routes.

More top news