Live updates

A book of condolence opened for Conley

South Yorkshire police are still trying to trace the final movements of Conley Thompson after he left his friends at a play park two miles from his home in Worsborough.

Conley's body was found on the site by workman yesterday morning. He died after becoming stuck in a vertical pipe. The company carrying out work at the site - Howard Civil Engineering - says it is cooperating with the police investigation.

Today, a book of condolence was opened at a church near his home. Martin Fisher reports.

Advertisement

Rugby World Cup turns Millennium Square in to Theatre

On the even of the first Rugby World Cup match in Leeds, Millenium Square in the city is to be transformed into an open air theatre space by the outdoor theatre company Tangled Feet and they are looking for hundreds of volunteers to join in.

The show on Friday 25th September, will be called "Collective Endeavour" and will have a rugby theme. Christine and Duncan spoke to Nathan Curry, the co-Artistic Director of Tangled Feet about the project.

You can find out more about it here

Maltby Miners' memorial is unveiled

A memorial has been unveiled to remember those killed in one of our region's worst mining disasters.

The remains of most of the 27 men killed in a gas explosion at Maltby Colliery in 1923 are still entombed underground.

Today, their relatives - who have been raising money for a permanent memorial - met at the site of the explosion to pay tribute. David Hirst reports.

Man jailed for child sexual offences in Doncaster

A 62-year-old man has been jailed for over 12 years for sexually abusing two young girls in Doncaster.

Joseph Harvey, of Sea Cliff Road, Scarborough, appeared before Doncaster Crown Court yesterday (Monday 27 July) to receive his sentence after a jury found him guilty of 18 offences at a trial earlier this year.

The offences included multiple counts of sexual assault, sexual activity with a child, and one count of attempted rape, for which he was jailed for 12 years and six months.

The court heard how Harvey abused his victims in the 1960s and 1980s in the Doncaster area. With the support of friends, they came forward to police last year and an investigation began.

“This is a significant sentence that reflects the gravity of Harvey’s offending. “While he pleaded guilty to some of the offences, he still put his victims through further trauma and distress by taking this to trial.

“I hope that the sentence handed to Harvey offers his victims reassurance and closure that, after so many years, their abuser is finally behind bars for his despicable crimes.

“This case highlights that it is never too late to come forward and report offences of this nature and I’d urge any victim of sexual offences to contact police so we can investigate and bring these individuals to justice.”

– Detective Constable Brian Thompson from Doncaster’s Public Protection Unit

Bradford sign defender Clarke

Advertisement

NHS statement regarding death of Mylee

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust has issued a statement following the conclusion of the inquest in to the death of four-year-old Mylee Weetman who died at Leeds General Infirmary following heart surgery.

“I would like to reiterate my deepest sympathy to Mylee’s family for their loss and fully understand their need to know how their daughter died.

“I hope this hearing, although painful for them, will have provided the answers they needed.

“There has been a very thorough examination of the facts of the case and the Coroner concluded that while the surgery was performed correctly, Mylee sadly suffered a micro-embolic air embolism which is a rare but recognised complication of this procedure.

“I would like to thank all the staff at Leeds Children’s Hospital and the external experts who gave evidence to assist the Coroner in reaching his verdict.”

– Dr Yvette Oade, Chief Medical Officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Family says there are 'still questions' about Mylee's death

Mylee Weetman

"We would like to thank the Coroner for carrying out this painstaking investigation into the death of our little girl. We have great respect for his determination to uncover the truth, and this has given us some comfort in what has been an awful time.

We still, however, have questions about Mylee's treatment at Leeds. The staff involved in her care gave no explanation for why she died, neither at the time of her death nor during the Inquest. We felt as if they were trying to convince us that it was just 'one of those things', or maybe that the hospital was in denial about what had happened. The Coroner found that Mylee's brain damage had been caused by an air embolism passing from one part of her heart to another, resulting in a stroke.

We now know that a hole in Mylee's heart, known as a VSD, had not healed over by the time of her operation, and that this left her vulnerable to air bubbles in her bloodstream. We need to know why, if there were doubts about whether the hole in Mylee's heart was still present, more steps were not taken to minimise the risks to her during and after surgery.

Difficult as it was to hear, we are glad that the Coroner heard the comments of a neurologist about whether Mylee might have survived, even if she might have suffered lifelong brain damage. The neurologist did not accept the argument that the death was unexplained, and pointed to the probability of an identifiable cause.

It has been so distressing to relive the events around Mylee's death. There have been no easy answers for us throughout this process, but we have to know the truth. It hurts even more to know that there are other families who feel that their children were harmed at the Leeds heart unit; only a week after we lost Mylee, the unit was temporarily closed down, and this only makes us more anxious about the care that children were receiving there.

We hope that lessons will be learned from Mylee's story, and that this will go some way to preventing this from happening to anybody else's child. We will never forget Mylee, and we owe it to her to find the truth about what happened to her.

– The family of Mylee Weetman

Hull's mystery millionaire

Players in Hull are being urged to check and double-check their unique EuroMillions UK Millionaire Maker code for the chance to become an instant millionaire.

The search is on to find the owner of the winning ticket which was bought in Hull. For every EuroMillions line played, UK players automatically receive a Millionaire Maker code printed on their ticket. The winning code on 10 July was VCY513088 and the lucky ticket-holder has until Wednesday 6 January, 2016 to claim their prize.

If no-one comes forward with the winning ticket before the prize claim deadline, then the prize money, plus all the interest it has generated, will go to help National Lottery-funded projects across the UK.

A National Lottery spokesperson said: “We’re desperate to find this mystery ticket-holder and unite them with their winnings – this amazing prize could really make a huge difference to somebody’s life."

Load more updates Back to top