Man in court over Owen Wightman death

Owen Wightman
Owen Wightman was killed last year Photo: Calendar

A driver who has been warned he faces a prison sentence after he admitted causing the death of a six-year-old boy is due in court again.

Peter Renshaw, 22, was driving a Fiat Seicento when he struck and killed Owen Wightman near the boy's home in Wakefield on June 18 last year.

He admitted causing death by dangerous driving at Leeds Crown Court last week.

But the case adjourned until today for a Newton hearing which will resolve other alleged "aggravating features", which include allegedly failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident.

It is also alleged that damage was inflicted on the vehiclepost-collision with a view to disguise what had taken place", the courtwas told last week.

Owen was struck by Renshaw's car while out playing with a friend closeto his home on Fishpond Lane, Kettlethorpe, Wakefield.

The court was told the speed of the Fiat was also disputed, with the prosecution alleging it was travelling at 59mph. Defending, Richard Clewes said an expert'sreport suggested the speed could be 53.7mph or higher.

Mr Clewes said the prosecution alleged that his client, of Grange Drive,Emley, Huddersfield, must have realised he had collided with a pedestrian.

"That is something that he does not accept," he told thecourt. Judge Geoffrey Marson QC imposed an interim driving ban and told Renshawhe could expect to go to jail following the conclusion of the two-day hearing which is due to begin today.