– Sally Simpson, Calendar Daybreak Presenter
For a great family day out, Shibden has it all - a miniature railway, boating lake, pedalos, mini fun fair, adventure playground, cafe, visitor centre - and the historic hall itself. All set in rolling parkland with picnic benches aplenty and parking is only a pound all day! Just outside Halifax, well-signposted.
Perfect timing... the summer holidays have begun and at last we have some sun! Here's our little look-around the region for fun and games to keep the family entertained over the next six weeks. Enjoy!
- Flamingoland, Malton,
- Lightwater Valley, Ripon
- PleasureIsland, Cleethorpes
- Sundown Adventureland, Retford
- Forbidden Corner, Leyburn
- National Media Museum, Bradford
- Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds
- Jorvik Viking Centre, York
- Eureka! The National Children's Museum, Halifax
- National Coal-mining Museum, Wakefield
- Bronte Parsonage Museum, Haworth
York Maze has just unveiled its new design...
- Tramlines Music Festival, various venues Sheffield City Centre, 20th - 22nd July
- Whitby Sea Festival, 20th - 22nd July
- Leeds Festival, Bramham Park, 24th - 26th August
- Beacons Festival, Skipton, 17th - 19th August
- Woodfest, Keighley, 27th - 28th July
- Clarence Park Festival, Wakefield, 28th - 29th July
- Bingley Music Festival, 31st August - 2nd Sept
ANIMALS & MORE...
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster
- The Deep, Hull
- Tropical World, Leeds
- Butterfly House, North Anston
- Lotherton Hall Bird Garden, Leeds
- Kids Go Wild - Minibeast Safari, Hessle
- Pond Dipping, Goole
Our latest report from the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield: The Countess of Wessex officially opens the Hepworth in March 2012.
CITY CENTRE SIGHTS
- Leeds City Museum
- Henry Moore Institute, Leeds
- Millenium Gallery, Sheffield
- York Dungeons
- Chocolate Story, York
- Lincoln Castle, Lincoln
Come rain or shine: the Bradford Mirror Pool has been drawing in visitors since it was completed in February this year.
- Malham Cove, Yorkshire Dales
- Scarborough Cliff Top
- Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
- Fountain's Abbey, Ripon
- Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire Dales
- Wanderlust Way, Lincolnshire Wolds
– Jon Mitchell, Calendar Weatherman
This weekend will be great for a wander around the North York Moors. Park at Grosmont, walk to Beck Hole,have a pint at the Birch Hall Inn. Wander to Mallyan Spout Waterfall then Goathland and catch the steam train back to Grosmont. A perfect day.
Jon Mitchell's last Calendar 'Breath of Fresh Air' was a trip to Lastingham... feeling inspired?
- How Stean Gorge, outdoor activity centre, Nidderdale
- Xscape, Castleford
- Another World Adventure Centre, Halifax
- Low Mill Outdoor Centre, Leyburn
- Rokt Climbing Gym, Brighouse
- Ponds Forge, Sheffield
- Nature Detectives and Woodland Olympics, Yorkshire
FOOD & DRINK
- Taste The Wild, foraging & more in North Yorkshire
- Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival, August
- Delicious Trails, Welcome To Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Welcome, all things Yorkshire and food & drink, Thirsk
The Magna Science Adventure Centre is housed in the former Templeborough steelworks in Rotherham