1. ITV Report

Five arrests over Evans rape ID

Ched Evans Photo: Press Association

Three people from Sheffield have been arrested along with two others with revealing the identity online of a woman raped by former Sheffield United striker Ched Evans.

The Crown Prosecution Service have confirmed that the total number of people charged over publishing the matter online that was likely to lead to identification of the victim now stands at nine.

Paul Devine, 26, Daniel Cardwell, 25, and Shaun Littler, 22, all from Sheffield were charged yesterday along with Hollie Price, 25, from Prestatyn and Gemma Thomas, 18, from Rhyl.

Further evidential reviews have led us to conclude that there is sufficient evidence to charge a further five people with the offence of publishing a matter likely to lead members of the public to identify the complainant in a rape case, contrary to the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act, 1992.

As with the previous charges in this matter, the Attorney General has granted consent to these prosecutions. All five have been charged by North Wales Police and bailed to appear before Prestatyn Magistrates' Court on the 5th November. Reviews in respect of further suspects under investigation by North Wales Police are continuing.

– Jim Brisbane, chief crown prosecutor for CPS Cymru-Wales

Benjamin Davies, 27, from Rhyl, and Michael Ashton, 21, from Llanddulas, North Wales, were charged on Tuesday with revealing information on Twitter that could lead to the complainant being identified. Both have been bailed and will also appear at Prestatyn Magistrates' Court on November 5

Dominic Green, 23, from Rhyl, and Alexandra Hewitt, 24, from Broughton, were charged on Monday for allegedly publishing messages revealing the victim's identity on Facebook.

Former Sheffield United and Wales striker Evans was jailed for five years in April for raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room. Evans admitted having sex with her, but the woman told the jury she had no memory of the incident - and the prosecution said she was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.

Following the trial, the victim was allegedly named and subjected to abuse on Twitter and other social networking websites. More than a dozen arrests were made, with North Wales Police saying the alleged online comments were "profoundly disturbing" and contributed to the victim's "continued trauma".