The clocks are going back tonight and police in Rotherham have issued crime prevention advice for the dark nights. Properties become more vulnerable in the dark as criminals can move around more freely and are at less risk of being seen entering properties or breaking into cars.
- Put timer switches on interior lighting throughout the house to make burglars think someone is home
- Try not to leave the house in silent darkness. Leaving a radio on could make an opportunist thing twice
- Lock all doors and windows even when you are home
- Check whether your locks are secure enough
- Tidy away all garden furniture and equipment where possible in a secure garage or shed and ensure that ladders are locked away so burglars cannot use them
- Ensure all sheds and garages are locked securely
- Check that any outside lighting works and replace any bulbs if necessary
- Consider purchasing dawn to dusk exterior lighting
- If you have a burglar alarm - use it!
- Do not leave anything visible in your car that can attract thieves. Even if the item is not of value, your window replacements and locks can be
- Take your mobile phones, satellite navigation and laptops with you
- Always lock your car doors - opportunist thieves will check
For more crime prevention advice, call the police on 101 and ask to speak to your local safer neighbourhood team.