A survey commissioned by the Department of Health's Change4Life initiative reveals that 77% of Britons are unaware of the high levels of salt, sugar and saturated fat hidden in their favourite foods.
In a food IQ test of 2,000 adults, fewer than one in 100 people managed to answer all 12 questions correctly.
See how much you know about what you are eating:
- 1. Which of these meals has the most saturated fat? a) Regular burger & medium fat b) Regular portion of fish and chips or c) Small pepperoni pizza
- 2. How many cubes of sugar are in one can of regular coke? a) 11 b) 7 or c) 3
- 3. How much salt would you find in a portion of canned/carton of tomato soup? a) About 1g b) About 5g or c) About 15g
- 4. Which of these has the most calories? a) Regular burger & medium chips b) 2 sausages & mash in a restaurant or c) Macaroni & cheese ready meal.
- 5. A large takeaway pepperoni pizza would provide how much of your daily maximum saturated fat intake? a) About half b) About twice or c) About four times
- 6. Which of these has the most sugar per portion? a) Cornflakes with semi-skimmed milk b) Cup of black coffee with two sugars or c) Fat free low fat strawberry yoghurt
- 7. Which of these has the most salt? a) ham & cheese sandwich b) Regular pack of ready salted crisps or c) Chicken tikka masala ready meal
- 8. Which is the lowest in calories? a) regular take-away burger and medium chips b) Spaghetti carbonara ready meal or c) Homemade chicken stir-fry with rice
- 9. Which of the following contains the most saturated fat ? a) a large sausage roll b) ham and cheese baguette or c) a scotch egg.
- 10. Which of the following would provide more than half of your daily maximum amount of sugar ? a) 250ml squash drink ( diluted with water) b) 330ml can of lemonade or c) 150ml fruit juice.
- 11. Which of the following is the daily maximum amount of salt for an adult ? a) one teaspoon b) two teaspoons or c) four teaspoons
- 12. Which of these snacks contains the most calories? a) slice of malt loaf b) fruit cereal bar or c) pack of raisins.
Answers: 1 (c). 2 (a). 3 (a). 4 (b). 5 (b). 6 (c). 7 (a). 8 (c). 9 (a). 10 (b). 11 (a). 12 (b).