1. ITV Report

Puppy eats earring

Kandii's interior, featuring earring in question. Photo:

Kandii, a Yorkshire Terrier cross puppy, was rushed to Abbey Vets in Barnsley for an emergency operation to open her stomach and remove a silver hoop earring. She devoured it while cuddling her owner at their home in Ryhill, near Wakefield.

“The earring was too big to pass through the puppy and it also had a sharp spike on it which would have perforated her gut, so we had to open her stomach to remove the earring. This is fairly major surgery due to the complications that can arise but Kandii has now made a full recovery.”

“I’ve removed lots of things in the past that dogs have swallowed but this is the first time I’ve had to operate to take out jewellery.”

– Vet Louise Mallinson, Abbey Vets

Abbey Vets returned the earring to Mrs Heptinstall, who said: “I bought the earrings when I was on holiday in Greece and they are particular favourites of mine, but I am not taking any chances with Kandii, and I now only wear earrings that have safety fasteners.”

Mrs Heptinstall and Kandii