The stepfather of the only Briton injured in Spain's worst train disaster for decades has spoken of his shock at seeing photos of him staggering away from the wreckage.
Mark Woodward, 38, originally from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, was treated in intensive care for a broken pelvis and ribs and has had his spleen removed, the BBC reported.
He was among 168 passengers injured in the derailment just outside the city of Santiago de Compostela on Wednesday night, which left 78 dead.
Robert Spencer told the BBC his stepson, who lives in Galicia, the region where the crash happened, with his Spanish wife and daughter, remains in hospital.
He described how he was reading news reports of the event when he came across a photograph of his stepson at the scene flanked by two people, covered in blood with a ripped shirt.
"That was a shocking thing to see," he told the BBC.
"Grateful that he was apparently walking OK and alive, but still a shock.
Mr Woodward was injured when he was thrown forwards over the seat in front of him, hitting his head.
Mr Spencer added that his wife has flown over to Spain to be with her son and that he is "just glad" Mr Woodward's son was not travelling on the train.
The train's driver, 52-year-old Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, remains in custody on suspicion of reckless homicide, with police attributing blame for the disaster to him.
He has been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for chest trauma and was taken to a police station, but refused to answer questions from police.
An investigating judge has until today to interrogate him before deciding whether to jail the driver as an official suspect awaiting trial, release him on bail or release him without charges.
Police have confirmed the identities of all 78 people killed in the crash, according to reports.
Forensic science units had been working to identify remains since Wednesday night, when the Madrid to Ferrol service derailed as it approached the city of Santiago de Compostela.
Some 75 of those who died were identified through their fingerprints while additional DNA work was required to name the last three.
The president of the autonomous region of Galicia, Alberto Nunez Feijoo, said a public funeral for the 78 dead would be held at Santiago cathedral tomorrow at 7pm local time.
At least 30 people are still believed to be in a critical condition.
In addition to people from all over Spain, nationals from the United States, Mexico and Algeria are believed to be among the dead.
Authorities are in possession of the train's so-called "black box", which is expected to shed further light on the cause of the disaster.
Early indications suggested the train was travelling at around 118mph - more than twice the 50mph speed limit - when it crashed while heading into a curve.
Gonzalo Ferre, president of Adif, said the driver should have started slowing the train four kilometres (2.5 miles) before reaching a dangerous bend that train drivers had been told to respect.
According to reports in the Spanish media, after realising the magnitude of the disaster Mr Amo said: "I f***** up, I want to die."
In March 2012, the 30-year employee of Spanish train operator Renfe allegedly posted boasts on Facebook about how fast he was driving a train and joked about racing past police.
He is believed to have taken control of the train from a second driver about 65 miles south of Santiago.
Wednesday's train crash is the worst Spain has experienced since a three-train accident in a tunnel in the northern Leon province in 1944.
The latest incident comes just a few weeks after six people were killed and scores injured in a train crash just south of Paris.