A report by education watchdog Ofsted says schools in North East Lincolnshire are being offered "uneven support" by the local authority.
Inspections at 7 schools were brought forward while a further eleven were surveyed by phone.
Schools were asked how well North East Lincolnshire Council knows their school; what measures are in place to support and challenge them; and what is the impact of the local authority’s support.
Ofsted found that North East Lincolnshire Council offers uneven support: the weakest schools receive attention while slightly better schools, which often still have much to work on, are not given appropriate attention. Inspectors also found that the local authority does not use data effectively.
The results of inspections in the seven schools were as follows:
- Stallingborough Church of England Primary School was judged to be outstanding, having formerly been good.
- Springfield Primary was requires improvement, the same as it was before.
- John Whitgift Academy was requires improvement, as it was before.
- Oasis Academy Wintringham was judged to require improvement, as it was before.
- Scartho Junior Academy was judged to be good.
- Signhills Infant Academy was judged to be good.
- Weelsby Academy was judged to be good.
Inspection outcomes in North East Lincolnshire since September 2013 show that the percentage of good and better schools is significantly lower than the national average, and is only improving marginally. Yet in England as a whole there has been a rapid rise in the percentage of good or better schools.
Ofsted inspectors found that schools are providing "good mutual support" involving head teachers meeting regularly.
Ofsted is now calling on North East Lincolnshire Council to hold schools to account for their performance and do more to help schools which require improvement get to good or outstanding.
North East Lincolnshire Council says many schools in the area are now academies and no longer under council control, but concede that "improvements need to be more rapid in those schools and academies that are not yet good or better."_