Lincolnshire Trading Standards is fighting back against illegal puppy farms with a campaign to raise awareness of what people need to check when they buy a dog.
Other pointers on buying a puppy:
- Are you buying from a Kennel Club Assured breeder? These breeders must follow rules assuring the health of the puppies they sell
- Imported puppies must be at least 15 weeks old. Younger and they are illegal and could be taken from you if reported
- Be prepared to be put on a waiting list – a healthy puppy is well-worth waiting for
- Be suspicious of a breeder selling several different breeds, unless you are sure of their credentials
- Ask to see the relevant health test certificates for the puppy's parents.
- Have you considered rehoming an older dog? Check out the Dogs Trust or your local animal rescue centre
- Never buy a puppy from a pet shop, carpark or service station.