Live updates

Pensioner on crutches fights off would-be robber

A woman on crutches has bravely fought off a would-be robber who grabber her and demanded money.

The 69-year-old was on Princes Avenue in Hull, near the junction with Park Grove when a man approached her from behind.

She refused his demands and fended him off. She was not hurt and nothing was stolen.

The man is described as a white man and around 5ft 10ins tall with a medium build. He was wearing a dark grey/black hooded top, dark dirty jeans and dirty white trainers with green stripes.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police.

Advertisement

Hull 2017 boss: Everyone needs the arts, the arts need everyone

Retired vicar jailed for historic sex offences

A retired vicar who indecently assaulted a young girl over forty years ago has been jailed following a trial at Kingston Crown Court.

Graham Gregory, 79 of Brockfield Park Drive, Huntington, York was sentenced to three years in prison at Kingston Crown Court having been found guilty in 2014 of two counts of indecent assault on a girl under 13 years.

Gregory was acquitted of two further counts of indecent assault following a retrial at the same court.

Detectives were contacted by a woman in 2012 who claimed that she had been abused as a child between 1969 and 1971 when she lived in Wandsworth and attended the church where Gregory was curate. She told officers that he kissed her on several occasions before assaulting her.

A second woman - who also knew Gregory through the same church - informed officers that she too had been abused as a child.

Gregory denied the allegations but was charged with five counts of indecent assault, and found guilty of two.

Police are appealing for any other victims to come forward:

Gregory abused his position as a figure of trust and authority. It takes a lot of courage to report this type of crime and in some cases victims feel that they are only able to come forward years after the offence. This conviction highlights that regardless of how much time has passed, we remain committed to bringing offenders before the courts. I would urge anyone else who may have been a victim of Gregory’s abuse to contact with the police.

– Detective Constable Aaron Vardy, of the Met’s Sexual Offences Exploitation and Child Abuse Command

Bantams reject Blades bid for Parkinson

Bradford have turned down an approach from Sheffield United to speak to manager Phil Parkinson.

Bantams reject Blades bid for Parkinson Credit: Press Association

The Blades are in the hunt for a new manager after sacking Nigel Clough and his entire backroom team on Monday.

But Bradford are desperate to keep hold of Parkinson, 47, who has a year left to run on his current contract at Valley Parade.

Bradford's joint-chairman Mark Lawn told Press Association Sport: "It's true we've been contacted by Sheffield United.

"They want to speak to Phil, but we've turned their request down. We've made it perfectly clear that we want Phil to stay."

When asked if Bradford's board will open talks with Parkinson over a new deal, Lawn added: "That's up to Phil.

"We'd be happy to do that. He has another year left on his contract and he knows we always look to negotiate new contracts at the end of their terms."

Lawn refused to comment on whether Parkinson had a get-out clause in his deal that the Blades had failed to activate.

"I'm not willing to discuss the finer points of Phil's deal," he added.

Parkinson penned a three-year deal at the end of the 2012/13 season after leading Bradford to the League Cup final and to promotion from Sky Bet League Two.

He guided the club to a seventh-placed finish in League One this season, missing out on the play-offs by four points.

Clough paid the price for the Blades' failure to win promotion via the play-offs as they recently lost out to Swindon in the semi-finals.

The South Yorkshire club, searching for their eighth manager since being relegated from the Premier League in 2007, will embark on a fifth campaign in the third tier next term.

Six players leave relegated Tigers

Six players have left Hull City following their relegation from the Premier League.

Paul McShane spent seven years at Hull City Credit: Press Association

The contracts of Liam Rosenior, Paul McShane, Yannick Sagbo, Maynor Figeroa, Steve Harper and Joe Dudgeon all expire at the end of the season while Alex Bruce and Stephen Quinn have been offered new deals with the Tigers.

Regrettably, following relegation we have made the decision to release the majority of those players whose contracts have expired. We would like to place on record our thanks for the service they have given to the club, particularly our two longest serving players Liam Rosenior and Paul McShane. Both players have been outstanding for us and they leave with our very best wishes for their futures. The aim now is to retain as many of the remaining squad as possible and look to add some new faces this summer as we bid to compete at the top end of the Championship and bounce straight back into the top flight.

– Steve Bruce, Hull City

Paul McShane had been at the KC since 2008 when he initially arrived on loan from Sunderland and was a key player in Hull's first season in the Premier League. He scored five goals in 136 appearances. Rosenior played for the Tigers 161 times after arriving on a free in 2010.

Veteran goalkeeper Harper departs having made 31 appearances for the Club while Dudgeon, Sagbo and Figueroa have racked up 127 appearances between them.

Advertisement

Ferres rejects NRL to commit to Giants

Huddersfield's England forward Brett Ferres has rejected advances from the NRL to commit his future to the Super League club.

Huddersfield's England forward Brett Ferres has rejected advances from the NRL to commit his future to the Super League club. Credit: Press Association

The 29-year-old former Bradford, Wakefield and Castleford second rower, who is vice-captain of the Giants, has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the John Smith's Stadium to the end of 2019.

Ferres joined Huddersfield on a five-year deal in 2012 but had a release clause enabling him to move overseas at the end of this season.

Huddersfield have been very good to me and since being here I've moved into the England set-up, which was one of my aims, and we've established ourselves at the top end of the table. I did have the option to go to the NRL at the end of this season but, with Huddersfield wanting me longer term and the security that brought with it to me and the family who are very settled here, I was only too happy to stay.

– Brett Ferres

Ferres has made 72 appearances for the Giants and made his England debut in the 2013 World Cup.

Brett is an international-quality player and every team needs those guys to lead and perform well both on and off the field. He is one of our go-to men when we need a play and a leader and someone who would enhance any team in the competition. His retention long term is great news for the club and the UK Super League as a whole as we were aware of interest elsewhere in his services.

– Paul Anderson, Huddersfield Giants head coach

Man admits killing parents in 'frenzied' knife attack

A man has admitted killing his own parents in a "frenzied, prolonged" knife attack.

Leszek Dantes and his wife Malgorzata Dantes Credit: Nottinghamshire Police

Kamil Dantes, 29, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his parents, Leszek Dantes and his wife Malgorzata Dantes on the grounds of diminished responsibility. He will be sentenced at a later date.

The 54-year-olds’ bodies were discovered at around 6am on Monday 21 April 2014 in the upstairs front bedroom of the family home in Hardwick Road East in Worksop.

The Dantes each had around thirty stab wounds.

Mrs Dantes was Mr Dantes' full time carer, after the 54-year-old was diagnosed with a brain tumour and became reliant on a wheelchair.

In recent years relatives had noticed changes in Kamil’s behaviour, with him becoming more and more negative towards them. This appeared to be aggravated by reported use of steroids and cannabis.

He was detained under the Mental Health Act for two weeks in 2011 after reporting to police that his parents were dead.

Since then he had been on medication and closely monitored.

Inspectors say the couple could not have predicted what their son might do.

Kamil subjected his parents to a frenzied, prolonged attack on that April morning without any provocation. Caught unaware, they had no time to fight back and certainly his father, who struggled to walk, had no means of escape. They trusted him, they supported him and this is how he repaid them. This incident has understandably taken its toll on their relatives, some of whom remain in Worksop. They asked that their privacy be respected to allow them the space and time to process what has happened to their family and find a way to continue on with their lives without them.

– Detective Chief Inspector Leigh Sanders
Load more updates Back to top