North Yorkshire Police has issued a warning to farmers after a spate of sheep thefts in the county.
Since mid-September, 228 lambs and sheep have been reported stolen from farms near Kirkbymoorside, Fewston near Harrogate, Skipton, Settle, and Thornton Le Clay, York.
Police advice on how to avoid becoming a victim of livestock theft:
- Make regular checks on stock kept in fields
- Make sure that hedgerows and gates are in good repair
- Fit capped hinges to gates so that they cannot be lifted off and securing gates where possible
- Where possible keep livestock in barns or sheds
- Consider fitting CCTV so livestock can be seen from the farmhouse