A union say bus workers could strike again next week if a deal over pay can't be reached.
Members of the Unite union walked out yesterday, disrupting routes across the city, after rejecting an offer from employers First Leeds.
Union representatives are hoping for further negotiations today but say if there is no agreement another walk-out will go ahead on Monday.
Npower has announced plans to merge its Scarcroft and Limewood sites in Leeds.
The Scarcroft lease ends in April 2018 and the owners have development plans for the site; we plan to vacate by December 2017. In line with our strategy to consolidate sites wherever possible, we intend to relocate and accommodate our Scarcroft people at our Limewood site. This will involve upgrading the existing Limewood office to facilitate working in an Agile way.”
Trade union Unison has called today's loss of 2,400 npower jobs "a devastating blow to the workforce" and said that staff are paying the price for mistakes in management.
Npower has been in trouble for some time thanks to poor decision-making at the very top, and workers are now paying the price.
The company's failure to invest properly in new systems has left it with one of the worst customer service records in the business.
The Union GMB says it is "disappointed" at npower's announcement but "stands ready to work with the company" to ensure continuing employment for its members.
GMB is disappointed that hard-working members, many of whom have experienced significant disruption and uncertainty over the past 12 months, are set for more uncertainty over the next 12.
GMB members, in particular those in customer-facing roles, have been instrumental in helping the company to turn around the retail business and we deserve to know the full picture as soon as possible.
GMB stands ready to work with the company to continue to provide professional jobs for thousands of members across the UK.
Npower is to cut 2,400 jobs after reporting losses of over £100 million, the energy giant announced.
The cuts represent more than a fifth of the firm's 11,500-strong UK workforce.
The energy company npower has confirmed it is to axe 2,400 jobs as it starts a two-year recovery programme.
The company employs 1200 people in Leeds and over 500 people also work for the firm at a call centre in Hull. Npower has announced its 26 current sites are to be reduced to three regional hubs - but it is still not known if either of the Leeds and Hull sites will be affected.
In a statement npower says its two year recovery programme will make extensive cost savings to help turn around the significant losses made in 2015 and return the company to profitability.
The job losses would include "a mix of those who work directly and indirectly for npower."
Npower takes its responsibilities to its employees seriously and will consult fully with affected employees and with unions over its proposals for the future of the business.
Npower results continue the trend seen earlier in 2015, but they are nonetheless extremely disappointing and we are starting a two year process to fix them. They show a business that tried to do too much, too soon while not focusing enough on the fundamentals in a constantly changing market. This led to over complicated processes and procedures resulting in unhappy customers, too many complaints and extra costs to put things right.
134 jobs are at risk in our region after the discount shoe retailer Brantano went into administration.
The administrators announced that 2,000 staff are at risk nationally in 140 stores and 60 concessions.
In Yorkshire and the Humber, the figure is around 139 staff in 12 stores.
The stores and the number of staff at risk are listed below:
- Barnsley 9
- Bradford 9
- Doncaster Wheatley 10
- Guiseley 20
- Hull Anlaby 14
- Hull Kingswood 12
- Keighley 10
- Leeds Seacroft 2
- Scarborough 8
- Selby 12
- Sheffield Healey 12
- Wakefield 16
Under-fire retailer Sports Direct has pledged to pay its employees above the minimum wage from today, after allegations about low wages.Read the full story ›
Campaigners calling for a full public inquiry into the so called 'Battle of Orgreave' more than thirty years ago will today present their legal submissions to the Home Secretary Teresa May.
"Serious concerns were raised about incidents that took place in 1984 at the Orgreave coking plant and it was right that the Independent Police Complaints Commission reviewed these matters.
"The Home Secretary will carefully consider any further legal submissions.”