Emmerdale stars and other well-known faces from the soap world have been paying tribute to Richard Thorp following news of his death
Richard Thorp who has died at the age of 81 had an acting career spanning more than 60 years.
Cancer Research UK advice after Angelina Jolie revealed she has had a double mastectomy to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer:
- A mastectomy is an operation to remove the breast mainly as a treatment for cancer or to reduce the risk of it developing.
- In 2010-2011, over 18,000 mastectomies were carried out in England.
- Risk-reducing (prophylactic) mastectomies are carried out on women who have family history of breast cancer.
- Certain genes known as BRCA1 and BRCA2, can increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Preventative mastectomies can reduce the risk of breast cancer by up to 90% in people at a high risk of developing the condition.
- Some women opt for artificial breast reconstruction after the procedure.
Angelina Jolie has had a double mastectomy after doctors calculated she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer as a carrier of the BRCA1 gene.
- Around 1 in 20 breast cancers is partly caused by an inherited gene fault and the BRCA1 gene is just one of these.
- The BRCA1 gene helps to repair damage to DNA. When a mutated gene is passed from parent to child, all the breasts' cells carry this mutation.
- Women with a faulty gene have a 50 to 80% chance of getting breast cancer in their lifetime.
- BRCA2 and TP53 genes are also associated with increased risk of breast cancer.
- Genetic tests are available to women with a high risk of having changes in these genes.
Angelina's openness in talking about her own experience and her decision to have surgery raises crucial awareness of breast cancer and its genetic risk.
Deciding whether to have preventative surgery is a heart-rending decision for women like Angelina but we know it's a vital way of saving lives.
– Baroness Delyth Morgan, chief executive of Breast Cancer Campaign
This is a stark reminder of how much more research we need to do to give women more knowledge, choice and life-saving options to reduce their risk.
If you are at all concerned that you may have an inherited mutation in your family and want further advice, your GP will be able to provide more information and help.
A fostering recruitment campaign will be launched in Doncaster today - with a little help from Emmerdale actress Chelsea Halfpenny.
Her character Amy Wyatt is being fostered by parents who had never previously considered doing it.
One of ITV's most popular series returns to our screens tonight - charting the amazing stories and daily life in one of the most famous parts of North Yorkshire.
"The Dales" is back at 8 o'clock, and will be on our screens for the next three months. Tonight's episode once again features shepherdess Amanda Owen, a mother of six who lives on one of the remotest farms in our region. Chris Kiddey went to meet her.
Joyce Mason, who was Sheridan Smith's dance teacher , from aged 4 to 16, says she is a natural down to earth girl from a grounded family who will have been genuinely shocked by her BAFTA win.
Thank you so so much for all your kind messages.Can't believe it! Apologies for my language in the speech I was in complete & utter shock XxFrom @Sheridansmith1 on Twitter:
Actress Sheridan Smith has won the leading actress BAFTA Award for her role in ITV's Mrs Biggs.
Speaking to Daybreak after the show she said: "I've stopped crying… finally! It was like an out of body experience…. I'm still in shock, I can't believe it."
The actress said she was "such a massive fan" of fellow nominees Sienna Miller, Rebecca Hall and Anne Reid.
"This is mad, bonkers, brilliant!" she added.
The comedian and documentary film maker Michael Palin says he is very pleased to receive the BAFTA Fellowship at this years BAFTA Television Awards.
The Monty Python Star will be given BAFTA's highest accolade in recognition of the wide variety of work he has produced over the years.