Junior doctors are staging picket lines at hospitals across the region as they begin their first-ever all out strike. The walk-out began at 8am and by 8.30 more than 100 NHS staff had gathered outside Jubilee Wing at the LGI in support of the walk-out. The action will continue until 5pm.
A father and his three daughters all had operations after being diagnosed with the hereditary disease.Read the full story ›
The head of the BMA has defended the decision for junior doctors to go ahead with a two-day strike over the imposition of a new contract, saying the government "utterly refuses to listen to the concerns of junior doctors".
Dr Mark Porter said as long as the government planned to impose the disputed contract, "industrial action will have to be mounted".
He also reiterated that there will be a full emergency service in place while strike action takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The junior doctors' strike has led to the cancellation of hundreds of appoiontments in Calderdale and Huddersfield, a health trust has confirmed. Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust said 800 outpatient appointments and 55 operations had been cancelled because of tomorrow's walkout.
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists said women and their babies will be cared for by senior doctors during the walk-out.Read the full story ›
Junior doctors' plan to withdraw emergency care in the latest round of strike action over the new contract which is set to be imposed.Read the full story ›
Junior doctors are set to start an all-out strike at 8am on Tuesday.
The NHS has already cancelled 125,000 operations and appointments in preparation. It will be the first time in the history of the NHS that junior doctors have walked out of accident and emergency units, urgent maternity services and resuscitation and mental health crisis teams. Tuesday's walkout will be the fifth strike in a dispute over a new contract.
Louise Palfreyman is calling for women to be given more explicit information about the risks of the pill after she had a stroke.Read the full story ›
The Accident and Emergency department at Grantham Hospital is now back up and running after power was restored following a fire.
All elective operations and outpatient clinics will go ahead as planned tomorrow.
I’d like to say thank you to all ULHT staff for their hard work in ensuring high quality patient care has been maintained and to the public for their patience and understanding.
Grantham hospital Accident and Emergency department is to reopen at 10pm this evening, after it was closed following an electrical fire last night.
But all operations and appointments for tomorrow, Thursday 21 April, have been postponed as previously announced.
The hospital says it still cannot operate a full A&E service, as four wards remain affected by the power cut. These include the coronary care and intensive care units. Patients requiring these services will be taken by ambulance to A&E departments in other hospitals.
“I’d like to thank the public for being so understanding as well as neighbouring hospitals who supported us in our efforts to keep the hospital running. Finally, I’d like to pay tribute to all the ULHT staff for their fantastic efforts in ensuring the maintenance of high quality patient care despite the restrictive effects of the fire and loss of electrical power."
Health officials say that if patients are unsure where to go, they should call 111 for advice.