A woman from York who was badly burned after petrol ignited as she transferred it between containers in her kitchen remains critically ill in hospital. Diane Hill, was in the kitchen near a gas cooker when she was engulfed by flames - leaving her with 40 per cent burns.
A woman from York has been badly burned after petrol ignited as she transferred it between containers in her kitchen. The woman, named locally as Diane Hill, was in the kitchen near a gas cooker when she set alight - leaving her with 40% burns.
Shocked neighbours witnessed her run into her garden attempting to put out the flames.
A woman in York has been seriously injured whilst transferring petrol between containers in her kitchen. She was taken to Pinderfields Hospital with 40% burns to her body after the petrol ignited and set fire to her clothes.
Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol and be aware of the risks associated with incorrect use and storage of fuel. In domestic situations fuel containers must not be stored in living accommodation such as kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms or under staircases. Any storage place should be well away from living areas and be secured to protect against the possibility of vandalism or arson.
– Peter Hudson, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Never bring petrol in side your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or out building ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion."