Inquest into death of one year-old

An inquest into the death of a one year old boy who died after being treated for chicken pox at Rotherham District General Hospital takes place today.

Latest ITV News reports

Parents' reaction to coroner's conclusions

Lewis Mullins died in April last year from pneumonia brought on by chicken pox. He was treated just for chicken pox and medical staff failed to diagnose an underlying bacterial infection.

Coroner Nicola Mundy recorded a narrative verdict and says she's considering writing to the Department of Health highlighting Lewis's case to try and prevent a similar tragedy.

Advertisement

Parents' warning to other families

The parents of Lewis Mullins warn other parents to be vigilant on the day a coroner strongly criticises Rotherham's NHS Walk-In centre and the town's General Hospital over "missed opportunities" which could have saved the life of their one year-old boy.

Lewis Mullins died in April last year from pneumonia brought on by chicken pox. He was treated just for chicken pox and medical staff failed to diagnose an underlying bacterial infection.

Coroner Nicola Mundy recorded a narrative verdict and says she's considering writing to the Department of Health highlighting Lewis's case to try and prevent a similar tragedy.

"Missed opportunities" in baby death case

Coroner Nicola Mundy has recorded a narrative verdict of one year-old Lewis Mundy's death. At Rotherham Magistrates Court today, she said there were there "missed opportunities" at both the NHS Walk-in centres and Rotherham General Hospital, which could have saved his life.

Lewis had chicken pox but he had developed a secondary bacterial infection, which was missed by health professionals - despite repeated warnings from his mother. Antibiotics could have saved his life.

Verdict due

Rotherham coroner Nicola Mundy is about to deliver her verdict in the case of one year-old Lewis Mullins - who died after being sent home three times by doctors who missed a deadly infection.

The four-day hearing was told how Lewis was given anti-viral drugs and painkillers for chicken pox. But simple antibiotics would have saved his life. The youngster collapsed at home in April last year and died from pneumonia, which was likely to have been caused by the chicken pox.

Advertisement

Inquest into toddler's death

Lewis Mullins, who lived with his parents in Maltby, in Rotherham, died in April last after being seen by both an NHS Walk-In centre and twice at Rotherham Hospital in the three days before his death. He had been suffering from chickenpox.

Heather Kolar, a medical law specialist at Irwin Mitchell, representing Lewis' family, said: "His parents were distraught at losing Lewis just days after his first birthday. He had been suffering chicken pox but became more seriously ill in the days leading up to his death.

"His parents feel they have been told very little about what happened to Lewis and are seeking answers as to how he died."

The inquest is being held at Rotherham Magistrates Court and is due to finish today.