Man arrested after his wife is found dead at their farmhouse

A 71-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after an elderly woman was found strangled at Maplebeck, North Notts. He is being treated at hospital in Lincoln for his injuries. Police are waiting to interview him.

Live updates

Police wait to question murder suspect

Detectives continue to wait this morning to interview a 71-year-old man in connection with the murder of Julia Thurgarland in north Nottinghamshire.

Mrs Thurgarland, who was 70-years-old, was found at her home address in the village of Maplebeck on Friday (28 December 2012). A post mortem examination revealed she had been strangled.

The 71-year-old man who has been arrested was found in the house on Friday afternoon suffering from injuries. He was taken to Lincoln Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition. Detectives will question the man when he is deemed fit to be interviewed.

The enquiries undertaken throughout yesterday make me quite certain this is an isolated incident and we will interview the suspect as soon as possible to determine the circumstances leading up to Mrs Thurgarland’s death.

– Detective Chief Inspector Tony Heydon

Police investigate suspicious death in Maplebeck

An investigation is underway following the death of a woman in Maplebeck in North Nottinghamshire. The ambulance service were called to Low Farm at around ten to four yesterday afternoon to find a woman had died. A man was also found injured and was taken to Lincoln Hospital.

The pensioners are yet to be formally named but are believed to be in their 70's. The family is being supported by specially trained officers. The woman's death is being treated as suspicious. Tests are due to be carried out today to find out how she died.

“We have been conducting enquiries in and around the farmhouse and those enquiries will continue throughout today. Our thoughts are with the couple's family and the residents of this very small village. We hope to have some answers as to exactly what has happened in the coming days, but at this time I would appeal to anyone who has any information to contact us."

– Detective Chief Inspector Tony Heydon, Nottinghamshire police


Back to top