British hostage killed in Nigeria

The man killed in Nigeria by an Islamic extremist group is believed to be from Leeds

Live updates

Tributes to West Yorkshire man killed in Nigeria

Tributes have been paid to a construction worker from West Yorkshire who's been reportedly killed by terrorists in Nigeria.

Brendan Vaughan was born in Leeds but had moved to Thailand to start a new life.

Mr Vaughan had been held hostage in Nigeria for almost a month. He was named by the Foreign Secretary William Hague as the British national believed to have been murdered along with six others.

  1. National

Man killed in Nigeria was 'deprived of meeting grandchild'

Relatives of the British man, Brendan Vaughan, who is believed to have been killed by terrorists in Nigeria, have released the following statement:

The family of Brendan Vaughan aged 55 from Rothwell, Leeds are obviously shocked and saddened by recent events.

Brendan, best described as a lovable rogue by everyone who knew him, lived his life to the full and on his own terms.

He was a loved Father, Brother and Fiance who was tragically killed on March 10th 2013.

He has been deprived of meeting his first grandchild, a baby girl to be born in May, Brendan may be gone but will be never forgotten.

The family would like to thank friends and family for their support, kindness and condolences. We would also like to thank the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Police for their fantastic support since Brendan was abducted last month.

– family statement


  1. National

Details emerge of Brit apparently killed in Nigeria

Brendan Vaughan, who is believed to have died in Nigeria. Credit: Facebook/Brendan Vaughan

Brendan Vaughan, the construction worker who was apparently killed by terrorists in Nigeria, is said to have moved to Thailand to start a new life.

A picture on his Facebook page shows him in the south east Asian country.

Vaughan appears to be one of seven hostages killed by terrorists.

All were employees of Setraco, a Lebanese construction company with an operation in Bauchi state, and had been held captive for about a month.

Back to top