"Afghan six" inquest

An inquest has begun into the deaths of six soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment, all killed in the bloodiest attack on British troops since the start of the conflict in Afghanistan

Live updates

Families speak of their heartache as inquest ends

There have been emotional scenes as the families of six soldiers killed by a Taliban bomb spoke of their heartache at the end of an inquest into their deaths.

The troops - four from West Yorkshire and two from Lancashire - died when their Warrior armoured vehicle was blown up by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan last year.

Today an expert said no British Army vehicle in Afghanistan could have withstood such a blast but significant improvements have been made to the fleet of vehicles still being used on the front line. From Oxford Coroner's Court Jon Hill reports.


Update: Bomb too big for armoured vehicle

No vehicle used by the British Army at the time that six soldiers were killed when their armoured Warrior vehicle was blown up would have been able to take the blast, an inquest has heard.

Major Douglas Nelson, an expert on the Warrior vehicle, said several improvements have been made to them since the deaths of the six men in March last year, but warned insurgents can always build bigger bombs.

Maj Nelson told the court today that a number of improvements have been made to Warriors following the incident, including thicker armour; the fuel tank; improvements to ways of getting out in an emergency; and better firefighting and detection systems.

Afghan six: Commanding officer speaks at inquest

The commanding officer of the six soldiers killed when their armoured fighting vehicle was blown up by a Taliban bomb has said he had no doubts about sending out the patrol as light faded at dusk.

The patrol had been due to leave the base in Lashkar Gar, in Afghanistan earlier in the afternoon, but it was delayed by a sandstorm. At the inquest into the troops' death, Major Edward Colver was asked if he was at all worried about sending out the patrol at dusk

He replied: "I was extremely confident that it was the right thing to do." Other soldiers who were on the patrol in a second armoured vehicle have told the hearing that they had no concerns about going out at dusk.


Inquest into 'Afghan six' resumes in Oxford

The six soldiers who lost their lives Credit: Calendar

An inquest into the deaths of six soldiers killed while serving with the 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment in Afghanistan has resumed in Oxford. The troops - four from West Yorkshire - were killed when their Warrior armoured vehicle was blown apart by a Taliban bomb in March 2012.

It was the single deadliest attack on British forces since the conflict began in 2001. The inquest has been told that the vehicle became an inferno when it struck an improvised explosive device. All the men are said to have lost consciousness instantly.

Their families have been told that none stood a chance of surviving.

Families of fallen soldiers attend inquest

The families of six soldiers killed by a massive Taliban bomb while serving with the Yorkshire regiment have been told harrowing details of their loved ones' final moments today.

It was the biggest single loss of life in Afghanistan since 2001 when their armoured vehicle was blown apart and engulfed by flames when it ran over an improvised explosive device.

And at the inquest today, it's emerged that the youngest of those to die, aged just 19, was a last minute stand in who'd volunteered to join the patrol because his colleague was having a shower. Jon Hill reports from Oxford coroners court.

IED blast 'sent fireball 100 feet into the air'

Today the inquest into the deaths of six soldiers with the Yorkshire Regiment, heard from a soldier who was travelling in an accompanying armoured vehicle.

In a written statement, Private Luke Stones explains that Private Christopher Kershaw from Bradford was a last-minute stand-in on the mission.

"Private Butler would have been the driver...but he was just returning from the shower and as a result, Private Kershaw offered to take his place."

– Private Luke Stones

The hearing has been told the troops, including Private Kershaw, died from blast injuries when their fighting vehicle was blown apart by an IED.

Private Stones said when the vehicle exploded, he saw a fireball sending flames 100ft high.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports