- 5 updates
Workers in one of the rail operators hit by disruption to services are to stage a series of fresh strikes in the long-running dispute over the role of guards.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union on Arriva Rail North (Northern) will walk out for 24 hours on June 19, 21 and 23.
The company has been under fire in recent weeks because of daily delays and cancellations to rail services.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "We have seen over the past fortnight that Northern is a company which has declared war on its passengers and staff alike.
"RMT will not stand aside while the threat to axe safety critical guards from Northern services remains central to the company plans.
"This company has reduced the timetable to total chaos and the union will not allow them to slash the safety culture to ribbons in the same fashion.
"It is a tribute to the determination and professionalism of RMT members on Arriva Rail North that they have remained rock solid for over a year now in what is a clear-cut battle to put public safety before private profit.
"German-owned Northern Rail want to run half a million trains a year without a safety critical guard on board in a move that would wreck both safety and access to services and they should listen to their front-line staff and pull back from that plan immediately.
"RMT has agreed arrangements in Wales and Scotland that enshrine the guard guarantee. If it's good enough for Wales and Scotland to have safe rail services it should be good enough for the rest of Britain."
The Government has hit out at the troubled rail operator Northern after commuters suffered more chaos, despite the company introducing a new emergency timetable.
Passengers we spoke to in the North West arrived at railway stations to find more than 160 services had been axed.
In a statement in the last hour, the Transport Secretary Chris Grayling promised a compensation scheme for passengers.
Mr Grayling also promised an independent inquiry into the chaos and said he would not hold back if that inquiry showed Northern Rail was negligent:
Northern has announced that it will make temporary changes to its timetable to tackle the problem of last minute rail cancellations.
Beginning on Monday, and lasting until the end of July, Northern say they will temporarily remove six percent of their daily train services, which amounts to a hundred and sixty five out of two thousand eight hundred daily services.
The company says that this will enable them to stabilise service levels and start to reduce the number of last minute cancellations, and that though In the short-term they will be running fewer services, it will still be more than before the May timetable change. The full timetable service will resume by the end of July.
Newspapers across the north of England have joined forces to call on Theresa May to "get a grip" after chaos continued on the rail network.
Some 25 titles called on the Prime Minister to lead an emergency summit in Downing Street this week to find a solution to the crisis, and urged a review of rail franchising.
The group also demanded the trans-Pennine high-speed line is prioritised over London's Crossrail II and devolution of more powers over transport.
Northern Rail was also urged to clarify its plans for a compensation scheme for passengers.
The Manchester Evening News, Liverpool Echo and Yorkshire Post were among the papers calling for action after passengers across the north were hit by crippling disruption following the introduction of a new rail timetable.
They said Transport Secretary Chris Grayling should take accountability for the rail chaos and told Mrs May it was time to "get a grip".
Latest ITV News reports
The Northern Powerhouse promised faster trains and shorter journeys, instead the North of England has come to a standstill.