Live updates

Advertisement

Barnsley football 'fans' banned from all matches

Three supposed Barnsley football fans have been banned from every football match in the UK for up to five years for their 'unacceptable and disorderly' behaviour.

And if Paul Wilkinson, Jake Allsopp and Ben Brooksbank breach the orders they could face up to six months in prison or a fine of up to £5,000.

Wilkinson, pictured below, who is 26, and from High Royd Lane at Worsbrough, was given a five year banning order at Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court after being convicted of a public order offence at a Chesterfield v Barnsley match on August 8th.

Paul Wilkinson: banned for five years Credit: South Yorkshire Police

Allsopp, who is 22, and from Roundhill in Darton and Brooksbank, aged 19, and from Brook Meadows in Denby Dale, both appeared at Barnsley Magistrates’ Court following a number of incidents at matches where their behaviour had been disorderly and unacceptable.

Allsopp was issued with a four-year football banning order and Brooksbank with one for five-years.

We refuse to let a very small, and minority group of people who call themselves fans, spoil and ruin the experience and atmosphere for everyone else. It is not acceptable to behave in a way that intimidates or frightens others at a football match and we will not tolerate anyone who chooses to act in this manner.

I am very pleased with the orders served at court and I hope it does makes people think and realise that we will take action to eradicate this type of behaviour at football matches in South Yorkshire to allow everyone else to continue enjoying the game.

– Superintendent Caroline Rollitt

Man found shot in Scotland was abducted from Barnsley home

A man who was shot and dumped in a street in Scotland had been abducted from his home in South Yorkshire, police believe.

Police are hunting three men in shooting and abduction

The 45-year-old victim was beaten over a period of eight hours at his house in Strafford Walk, Dodworth, Barnsley, and then driven 250 miles to East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, where he was shot in the knees and dumped by the side of a road in March.<

Emergency services found the man on a grass verge near the junction of Stewartfield Way and Stewartfield Crescent on March 13 this year.

He was taken to Hairmyres Hospital in the town for extensive treatment and has since been released. Police said he can no longer walk unaided.

E-fit images have now been released of three men police are hunting over the abduction and shooting.

e-fit of two suspects in the shooting and abduction from Barnsley Credit: Police Scotland
e-fit of third suspect in shooting and abduction from Barnsley Credit: Police Scotland

Officers have been working to establish the movement of the victim in the days before he was found in East Kilbride and they believe a group of men forced their way into his home on March 11 at about 7.30pm.

In the early hours of March 12 he was driven to Scotland in an unidentified vehicle over a period of 16 hours and discovered in East Kilbride at about 12pm on March 13.

Police Scotland said they have received "considerable support and information" from the public in the nine months since the incident and they are working with officers in England to trace the suspects.

"This shooting was a shocking incident, which occurred in broad daylight, yards from a busy town, homes and a
supermarket.

"This man was systematically assaulted, threatened and was in fear for his life. He has been left with life-changing injuries and may be unable to walk unaided again.

"We're still piecing together the timeline, mapping out the full journey which the attackers and the victim took, and have carried out a significant amount of enquiries since the incident, which has included checking CCTV and speaking to local people in both Barnsley and East Kilbride.

"I would like to speak to anyone who may have seen the man being shot and left injured in East Kilbride on March 13. I am also keen to speak with anyone who
noticed any vehicles acting suspiciously in the area.

"We are issuing e-fits of three individuals who we wish to trace who may have critical information that could help with our enquiries. Do you recognise these individuals? Can you give us names of these people? If you can, please call us.

"To make it clear, we do believe that this attack was targeted and was not a random assault.

"I'd like to again reassure the local community of East Kilbride that immediately following this incident increased patrols were in the area to provide additional public safety, reassurance and a visible demonstration of how seriously Police Scotland view such attacks."

– Det. Chief Inspector Gary Boyd, Police Scotland

Family renew appeal for information

The family of 51-year-old Andrew Kelly from Barnsley have released a photograph of him, as the investigation in to his death continues.

Andrew Kelly Credit: Family Photograph

51-year-old Andrew Kelly, was discovered when officers were called to a property in Victoria Street, Goldthorpe, on Wednesday 2 December.

While the results of an initial post mortem examination proved to be inconclusive, further tests are still being carried out and the incident is being treated as suspicious.

A 29-year-old man from Barnsley was arrested on Thursday the 10th December, on suspicion of robbery and murder. He currently remains in police custody.

Mr Kelly’s family have been informed and are receiving support from specially trained officers.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting incident number 740 of 2 December 2015 or Crimestoppers can be called anonymously on 0800 55511.

Woman fined for making false allegation of rape

A 33-year-old woman from Barnsley has been issued with a fixed penalty notice for wasting police time for making a false allegation of rape.

Credit: Press Association

The woman reported she had been raped in Barnsley Town Centre last weekend.

Barnsley Command Team Chief Inspector Mark James said: “A thorough investigation was immediately carried out from the initial report received and the woman was provided support from specially trained officers.

“However, as the investigation progressed, a number of discrepancies in the claim became apparent and there was no evidence to corroborate or substantiate the woman’s claims, with CCTV footage confirming beyond doubt that an attack had not actually taken place.

“False reports of rape or any sexual assault are not only are an incredible waste of police resources and time, as well as the significant cost involved, but it is detrimental to the actual victims of this type of crime."

Advertisement

Man arrested in connection with series of burglaries in Barnsley

A 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a number of burglaries in Barnsley.

Police say on Sunday 29 November between 8.15pm and 6am the following morning, two houses and a car in Pagnell Avenue, Thurnscoe, were reportedly broken into.

A sports bag is said to have been taken from a car parked in the street sometime between 8.15pm on Sunday and 6am Monday morning.

At about 11pm on Sunday, it is believed that an offender broke into a house in the street via the garage and stole a quantity of clothing.

The same offender is then believed to have tried to break into another house at about 10.50pm, but was unsuccessful.

The man, from Thurnscoe, has been bailed pending further enquiries.

Pensioner, 70, tied up and threatened at knife point during robbery

A 70-year-old man is in hospital after being bound, gagged and threatened at knife point during a robbery at his home in Royston near Barnsley.

70-year-old man tied up and threatened at knife point during robbery Credit: ITV Yorkshire

It happened on Thursday November 26, when the pensioner answered the door of his home.

A man, who initially said he was from the police and was wearing a balaclava threatened the penioner at knife point forcing him into his flat where he was bound by his hands and feet and his mouth was covered.

The robber escaped with cash and a mobile phone.

The pensioner called for help but was not heard until the following morning when the police were called. He was taken to hospital where he is said to be in a stable condition.

The offender is described as white, around 5ft 6ins tall, with a local accent. He was wearing dark clothing.

Load more updates