The parents of two West Yorkshire school children who were killed on holiday in Corfu have been told exactly who will be called to give evidence at their inquest.
Bobby and Christi Shepherd were 6 and 7 years old when they died eight years ago after carbon monoxide from a faulty boiler seeped into their holiday chalet. David Hirst reports.
The father of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu has welcome the Government decision to grant legal aid to the family as they seek an inquest.
British holidaymakers still fail to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide, according to the UK's gas safety body.
Their campaign to raise awareness is backed by Stacey Rodgers from Huddersfield whose son Dominic was a victim of the silent killer.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm: They need to be put in a central location in the house and can be fixed to the wall or can be placed on a table, bookshelf or shelf.
- Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by an appropriately qualified and registered engineer.
- Don't block ventilation and have chimneys swept at least once a year.
- Know the main symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and loss of consciousness.
- Keys signs are if symptoms clear up when you are away from home and come back when you return, or if other people in your household experience similar symptoms.
- Watch out for soot or yellow/brown staining on or around your appliance.
For more tips visit: www.co-bealarmed.co.uk.
Jennie McAlpine, who plays Fiz in Coronation Street, has told The People that the current carbon monoxide storyline is "already saving lives."
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.
Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.
When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning.
Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information.
At least 35 million people in Britain are still at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, a new survey has found.
A survey for the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign - found that people mistakenly think that their smoke alarm will detect carbon monoxide.
The Department of Health estimates that 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital, in the UK each year.
A storyline in Coronation Street is warning homeowners about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Jennie McAlpine's character Fiz Stape was left in a critical condition on New Year's Eve after suffering gas poisoning from a faulty boiler.
The storyline has prompted a renewal of the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Today marks the start of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, and the advice comes as latest figures from Humberside Fire and Rescue show they have responded to 148 suspected carbon monoxide incidents since 2010. 20 of these were later confirmed to be leaks, some resulting in fatalities.
Appliances which pose a risk are boilers, heaters and cookers. They need to be checked by a registered engineer before the winter sets in.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fossil fuels or wood burn without enough air (in poorly ventilated areas) and many incidents are caused by badly-installed appliances.
It's known as the 'silent killer' as it is colourless, tasteless and odourless.
C0 alarms can also be bought.
It is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week. Latest figures from Humberside Fire Service reveal they have attended 20 confirmed carbon monoxide incidents since 2010, some sadly fatal. The gas is known as the 'silent killer' as it is colourless, tasteless and odourless.