The families of elderly people living in a care home that had been threatened with closure have reacted with relief tonight after an agreement was reached to keep it open for the foreseeable future.
Residents of Melton Court in Maltby were initally given just days to move out after it emerged the home had no licence because its owner is in prison. This afternoon Rotherham Council and the regulator, the Care Quality Commission, decided residents can stay while new management is found.
A decision has been made about the future of a care home in Maltby, Rotherham.
Residents at Melton Court had been told they had to leave after it emerged the owner is in prison.
Rotherham Borough Council and the Care Quality Commission say they have reached an agreement about a course of action that allows residents to remain at the care home while the owner finds someone else who is able to apply for registration to CQC in order to run the care home.
Elderly people living at Melton Court in Maltby were given just days to move out after it emerged the home had no licence because its owner is in prison. A new owner stepped in to offer a reprieve but that was turned down by Rotherham Borough Council.
But now representatives from the council and the regulator, the Care Quality Commission, are due to give a final decision at a meeting with staff, residents and their families, later today.
The elderly and frail residents of a private care home in Maltby , near Rotherham have been told they've got only days to find somewhere else to live. The home is being closed after it emerged the owner is in prison and his licence to run the service was removed.
But their families say they haven't had enough notice to find alternative accommodation, and believe such a move risks damaging the health of their loved ones. Now they're seeking an injunction to keep the home open, as Lisa Adlam reports.
The families of elderly residents of Melton Court care home are seeking legal advice in a bid to keep it open. They want an injunction to allow their relatives to stay, after claiming they were given little notice to find new accommodation. Lisa Adlam reports.
A spokesperson for Rotherham Borough Council said the authority was fully aware of the concerns being expressed by residents at Melton Court and their relatives following the decision by the Care Quality Commission and was doing all it could to help and minimise the disruption to their lives.
She said seven social workers, three district nurses and voluntary organisations had been at the home working together with senior representatives from the authority, assisting with the move and addressing the concerns of the residents and their relatives.
The folllowing is a statement from the Care Quality Commission, the new independent regulator of all health and adult social care in England:
Elderly people living in a care home in South Yorkshire may only have days to find new accommodation after it was ordered to close. Residents have been told the Care Quality Commission is shutting down Melton Court in Maltby as soon as next Friday.
Its licence has been removed since it emerged the owner is in prison. But their families say they have had only a week's notice and the move will cause enormous suffering for their loved ones. They are now taking legal advice.
Sue Cartlidge says her 87 year old mother, Doreen, is heartbroken.