More investigation is needed before a decision is made on Ched Evans' appeal against his rape conviction.
The Criminal Cases Review Commission met yesterday to consider the former Sheffield United and Wales striker's appeal - Evans was convicted in 2012 of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old in a hotel in Wales. Today the Commission revealed further investigation was needed, before they meet again to make a final decision. No date has been set for that meeting.
Jeremy Wright QC has also asked North Wales police to look into whether material served during the court case in 2012 has been dealt with "properly".
Footballer Evans was released from prison last year after serving two-and-a-half years for the rape of a 19-year-old woman in a hotel, but continues to protest his innocence.
The Attorney General, Jeremy Wright QC MP, has asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider whether any criminal offences may have been committed in regards to identifying the victim in the Ched Evans case. He has also asked the North Wales police to investigate whether some of the material served during the course of the proceedings has been dealt with properly. If not, this may constitute a contempt of court. Given that there is now the possibility of proceedings being brought, it is very important that there is no comment in the media which might jeopardise either the investigation or any subsequent proceedings.
The Attorney General has asked prosecutors to examine whether any criminal offences were committed by those accused of revealing the identity of the victim in the Ched Evans rape case.
Evans was convicted of rape in 2012 and served half of his five-year prison sentence behind bars.
The Attorney General, Jeremy Wright QC MP has asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider whether any criminal offences may have been committed in regards to identifying the victim in the Ched Evans case.
He has also asked the North Wales police to investigate whether some of the material served during the course of the proceedings has been dealt with properly.
If not, this may constitute a contempt of court.
Hull boss Steve Bruce has disclosed he was one of the Premier League managers who contacted Oldham to give his support to their moves to sign convicted rapist Ched Evans.
Oldham pulled the plug on a deal on Thursday after a storm of opposition but Bruce said he believed Evans should have been given a second chance.
The League One club's chairman Simon Corney had said three Premier League managers had offered him their support and Bruce confirmed he was one of those:
I have to be honest and say yes. I've known Simon for a lot of years now. He'd looked at the case too. He was of the opinion to give the kid a chance. I can only say on behalf of myself, I know I might be upsetting people but there is a question of the rape and how he's been convicted by a jury. When you look at the evidence, it is there for appeal.
Evans was refused leave to appeal but his case is now going before the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC).
I'm a big believer that if you have done your time everyone deserves a second chance, we have seen footballers involved with accidents and being given a second chance. It's a very difficult situation for everyone concerned. It's a pity they could not have the appeal and get it over and done with.
It has divided opinion of course and when you look at the case in detail and, I don't think most people have really, because they have just seen Ched Evans as a convicted rapist, when you do look at the case and look at the evidence then certainly Ched has got a case. For me the appeal can't come quick enough for Ched. It must be a frustrating and difficult time for him and I think the events of the appeal, for me, will see Ched be allowed to play football again.
The CCRC is an independent public body that reviews possible miscarriages of justice in the criminal courts of England, Wales and Northern Ireland and refers cases to the appeal courts.
Tina Gelder reports.
The head of the Professional Footballers' Association Gordon Taylor has apologised after he appeared to compare the Ched Evans controversy with the Hillsborough disaster, saying in an interview: "The last thing I intended to do was to upset anybody connected to the Hillsborough case".
The point I was making was not to embarrass or upset anybody at all among the Liverpool supporters. I'm very much an admirer of them and they know that.
That was never my intention but it was the fact that how things at one time can be perceived one way but come out very differently with the passage of time. If people feel that way (offended) about what I said, I can only apologise.
Professor Phil Scraton, the lead researcher and primary author of the Hillsborough independent panel report, said in an interview Mr Taylor should apologise to victims' families and survivors for a "crass error of judgment".
And he suggested the comments could amount to "interference with the due process" of fresh inquests into the fans' deaths.
To conflate this with the institutional failings and demonstrable injustices (of Hillsborough) is crass, it's insensitive and it's inappropriate," he said in an interview.
It's particularly of concern that he chooses to make this statement when he knows only too well, as we all do, that the inquests that have been running since March and will run for at least another year are in process.
And we have very clear guidelines from the coroner about the publication and broadcast of comments regarding liability in relation to Hillsborough.
So on both counts - the comparison, which is completely inappropriate and also the kind of interference with the due process which is happening at the moment - it is a crass error of judgment. "There should be a retraction of his comments and it should be accompanied by an apology to the Hillsborough families and also the Hillsborough survivors for any offence that he might have caused.
Twitter users have reacted angrily to the comments from PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor comparing Ched Evans' situation to that of Hillsborough victims' families.
Gordon Taylor needs to resign, his comments about Ched Evans and Hillsborough are nothing short of downright despicable
The head of the Professional Footballers' Association, Gordon Taylor, has sparked fresh controversy in the Ched Evans case by comparing the footballer's situation with the families of those who died at Hillsborough.
"He would not be the first person or persons to have been found guilty and maintained their innocence and then been proved right," Mr Taylor said.
"If we are talking about things in football, we know what happened - what was alleged to have happened at Hillsborough - and it's now unravelling and we are finding it was very different to how it was portrayed at the time - indeed by the police at the time."
Convicted rapist and former Sheffield United footballer Ched Evans has apologised for the very first time - not for raping a 19 year old woman in a hotel room in North Wales - but for the effects that night has had on many people, including the teenager who was attacked.
He maintains his innocence and is still fighting to clear his name. This afternoon Oldham Athletic scrapped a deal to sign him saying fans, sponsors and staff had received death threats.
David Cameron has said he would have some "real concerns" about taking his children to watch a football match if a convicted rapist was playing.
The Prime Minister made the remarks during an interview with ITV News in Manchester, after being asked about Oldham's decision to pull Ched Evans' deal. It collapsed following threats to fans, staff and sponsors.
Mr Cameron also suggested Mr Evans should "show some sense of atonement", but added that it was up to him to decide how.