Brown is Gary Caldwell's first signing since taking chargeRead the full story ›
The 19-year-old joins the club until the end of the season from QPRRead the full story ›
A leading technology firm has been urged to "come clean" about job losses after fears that up to 1,100 posts are to be axed, including posts in our region.
Unite said it will fight job cuts at Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), including computer support staff and IT consultants at the company's main sites which include Chesterfield and Leeds.
The union said many jobs are expected to be offshored, with cuts due to take effect between March and September.
These cuts are aimed at culling backroom staff of the many household name clients that CSC has. We condemn the management for not coming clean as to the exact details on the two tranches of job cuts. The bosses need to be more transparent with those under threat of losing their jobs. You cannot remove this number of jobs and not seriously undermine frontline deliveries, whatever the product or service being provided. Some of the accounts affected impact on the smooth running of the NHS and can only worsen healthcare services, given that many of them are under strain at present. This is particularly worrying. The NHS cannot run without effective computer support systems and the reductions - in some cases proposals to make 50% redundant - could put patients' lives in jeopardy. However, these decisions are not even made in the UK, but in America."
CSC's main sites are at Aldershot, Banbury, Chesterfield, Chorley, Leeds, London and Preston.
A 46-year-old man has gone missing from his home in Chesterfield.
Barry Shaw, 46, was last seen around 8am on Thursday, January 19 before he left his home in Newbold to go to work in the town centre.
He is described as white, around 6ft tall and of a large build. He is bald, clean shaven and was last seen wearing a white shirt and tie, dark coloured trousers and black shoes.
Anyone who sees Barry, or knows where he might be, is asked to contact Derbyshire police on 101, quoting incident number 648 of January 20.
There is slow moving traffic and a lane closed due to an accident on M1 Southbound between J29 A617 / A6175 (Chesterfield / Mansfield) and J28 A38 (Alfreton / Mansfield).
The 34-year-old Scot succeeds Danny Wilson, who was sacked following a miserable run of 13 defeats in 18 League One matches.Read the full story ›
The club is expected to make an official announcement in the next 24 hours.Read the full story ›
The distribution centre is one of two that the company is closing at it tries to 'simplify' its management processRead the full story ›
Chesterfield have announced that manager Danny Wilson and his assistant, Chris Morgan, have left the club.Read the full story ›
Demolition of Chesterfield's old Queen’s Park Sports Centre will start next month.
Earlier this year Chesterfield Borough Council’s planning committee approved the demolition of the building, in Boythorpe Road, which has been empty since the new Queen’s Park Sports Centre opened in January.
Following a procurement process the council has appointed a contractor to carry out the demolition work in January. It will take between three and four months to complete.
The news comes as the council has published the results of a public consultation into the future use of the site. More than 580 people responded over a six week period during September and October.
The council’s preferred option, outlined in the consultation, is to use the site to house 3G multi-use games pitches that will help meet an identified shortage of these facilities in the borough, as well as support the council’s priority of getting more people to lead fit and active lifestyles.
During the consultation residents were asked for their views on this option and to consider other viable alternatives. Any options suggested had to meet four principles that the site use should:
· Generate income and not cost council taxpayers any extra money
· Support Council Plan objectives to improve the quality of life for local people, support a thriving borough, and deliver value for money
· Complement Queen's Park, with its grade two star heritage listing, and other facilities in the town centre and borough
· Be well-used throughout the year and provide added value for the community
Of the people who responded 69 per cent agreed with the suggestion of using the site for 3G pitches, with 23 per cent disagreeing and eight per cent giving no view.
Of the other suggestions made 22 of the 583 respondents suggested building an exhibition hall, with 21 people proposing a water play area and ice rink respectively.
“I am pleased that we are now in a position to start demolishing the old sports centre.
“While that takes place we will consider in detail the consultation responses and investigate how well they meet the four criteria we are working to when considering future options for the site.
“It is really important that whatever we agree fits in with the heritage and leisure use of the site but is also financially viable so that it doesn’t have to be subsidised by council tax payers’.