The family of missing Claudia Lawrence have criticised the police investigation. They say focusing on her private life may have cost clues.
A former private detective has claimed to have seen missing York chef Claudia Lawrence in Amsterdam.
On Sunday 18th March it will be three years since University of York chef Claudia Lawrence disappeared.
The father of missing York chef Claudia Lawrence has welcomed the news that The Presumption of Death Act for England & Wales has now received Royal Assent. It means that for the first time there is now a Presumption of Death Act available to those who need it in all parts of the United Kingdom.
Peter Lawrence who, with the charity Missing People, has spearheaded the campaign for better rights for the families of those missing, said:
"I am delighted that the Presumption of Death Bill has received given the Royal Assent. It will, when brought into force, help enormously those families who have previously struggled to officially establish the death of a loved one who has been missing.
For those many families, such as mine, who still have hope, I will continue to campaign for the right to deal with and preserve assets."
The Missing Rights campaign continues to seek the introduction of Guardianship laws which will help thousands of families when someone goes missing for a short period of time: it would enable relatives to keep the affairs of the missing person in order in their absence.
When approached by Calendar, a spokesman said: "North Yorkshire Police invited the National Policing Improvement Agency to conduct a second voluntary review of the investigation in 2010.
"Their report concluded that the investigation had been conducted with integrity and objectivity and that, where individuals had been subject to investigation, no investigative opportunities had been overlooked.
"The reviewers noted that good practice was evident in the investigation and that those strategies reviewed conformed to nationally approved standards."
See the interview on Calendar tonight at 6pm.
As the inquiry into Claudia's disappearance enters its fifth year, they have called for a new inquiry with a wider remit. But, they say even that may be too late and whoever is responsible for Claudia's disappearance may have got away with it.
"I just feel anger that four years on there's someone sat there somewhere, probably seeing the publicity, seeing the pain the family's going through and ..they've got away with it. With abducting her or whatever it is. And I just think how can they live with themselves?"
– Joan Lawrence
"The time, statistically, they said its very unlikely that a stranger was involved in this, and that was dismissed. I just feel that any sightings, or any pieces of information that are linked to someone who didn't know her should not be dismissed. They should be taken on board."
The mother and sister of missing Claudia Lawrence have strongly criticised the police investigation, saying a decision to focus on her private life may have cost vital clues.
Monday marks the four year anniversary since Claudia, a chef at York University, disappeared without trace.
In a frank interview Joan and Ali told Christine of their fears that the police closed their minds to other options, dismissing evidence that didn't fit with their theory.
Claudia's mother also accuses North Yorkshire Police of being rude and insensitive in their dealings with her and other potential witnesses.
It's almost four years to the day that Claudia Lawrence went missing from her home in York - and despite an investigation costing hundreds of thousands of pounds, police appear to be no closer to solving the mystery than they were back then.
What began as a missing person's inquiry then became a murder hunt. Claudia's family have made numerous appeals for help - all of them to no avail. Now a new book - titled Gone - examines what might of happened - and details the incredible strains her loved ones have faced.
Today is the 39th birthday of York chef Claudia Lawrence who has been missing since March 2009.
“I cannot believe that we are yet again at another birthday for Claudia and there is still no news as to what has happened to her," said Martin Dales, who is Claudia’s father Peter Lawrence's spokesman.
"All anniversaries are hard for the family and friends to cope with and it is unacceptable that there is still no closure – good or bad.
“So I make a further appeal to those who know these answers.
"How can you sleep at night knowing you know the answer?
“ How can you live the lie with yourselves?
“ Have you no feelings for those who are suffering because of your misguided silence?
“Do what you know in your heart of hearts what is right and end the misery of all those who love and care for Claudia even if you don’t.”
The family of missing York chef Claudia Lawrence will be remembering her today - on her 39th birthday. She vanished without trace nearly four years ago. You can find out more about the search for Claudia here.
The father of missing chef Claudia Lawrence has organised the first Northern Missing People carol service this afternoon in York. Candles will also be lit for loved ones.