Live updates

Moxon hopes Gillespie will remain with Yorkshire despite England interest

Jason Gillespie Credit: Press Association

Yorkshire's director of cricket Martyn Moxon says the club have yet to hear from England on whether they'll be making an approach for Jason Gillespie to fill their vacant head coach's role.

New England Director of Cricket Andrew Strauss confirmed that Gillespie was being considered for the England role.

However, Moxon is hoping that Gillespie will stay with Yorkshire because he has "unfinished business" at the club:

Advertisement

Private jet for Yorkshire trio to return for county tie

County champions Yorkshire have chartered a private jet to fly three of their players back to Headingley after international duty in order to boost their depleted squad.

The trio will return to Headingley for the Hampshire game on Sunday Credit: Press Association

The Tykes have done without six front-line players so far this season owing to Gary Ballance, Jonny Bairstow, Adam Lyth, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid and Joe Root being with England's Test side in the West Indies.

Ballance and Root were the only ones to play a minute of the three-match series and are being rested by England this weekend, but Bairstow, Rashid and Tim Bresnan are in line to face Ireland in a one-day international in Dublin on Friday.

With Lyth and Plunkett back in their ranks, Yorkshire are keen to have as strong a side as possible to face Hampshire on Sunday and have arranged for their trio of players to travel separately to the rest of the England squad.

Hampshire's James Vince will also travel to Leeds with the group.

Yorkshire chief executive Mark Arthur said: "It is unprecedented times. We have had six players away for three Championship matches and then England come back from the Caribbean and have arranged a one-day game in Ireland where we have three of our players called up for this one-off game.

"If we would have stuck to the scheduled flights they would have returned to Birmingham on Saturday afternoon and in our opinion that is no way to prepare for a very important LV= County Championship (match) on Sunday at Headingley.

"Martyn Moxon (director of cricket), in particular, was very upset how long it would take these guys to get back. The timing is difficult for all parties concerned with this one-off match taking place in Ireland.

"We fully understand the difficulties the ECB face and they fully support this. They have made allowances for the lads to travel back separately."

Yorkshire lose key pair to injury

Yorkshire must get by without Aaron Finch "for up to 12 weeks", and Ryan Sidebottom for six, after latest injury updates on the pair.

Destructive opener Finch has had surgery on his hamstring - and after a scan last week, the length of veteran left-arm seamer Sidebottom's absence has also been confirmed.

Australia can still expect Finch to be fit in time for their limited-overs series against England, beginning with a one-off Twenty20 at the end of August.

But his availability for Yorkshire is a different matter, and he seems certain to miss the vast majority of their NatWest T20 Blast campaign.

Yorkshire were hoping, even when Finch conceded he would have to sit out the remainder of the Indian Premier League after suffering the injury earlier this month, that he would be able to join them by the end of May.

Wednesday's statement from Cricket Australia (CA) has ended that prospect, and the likelihood is Finch will not be ready until the Blast knockout stages - should Yorkshire progress that far.

A CA press release explained Finch underwent surgery on his left leg in Melbourne on Tuesday.

Sidebottom hurt himself running between the wickets in Yorkshire's opening Division One match, which they won away to Worcestershire.

The 37-year-old former England bowler has a grade two tear to his left calf, and has already begun a rehabilitation programme.

It is a great shame for Ryan. We will monitor his rehabilitation on a daily basis and hope that he will return to cricket in six weeks.

– Yorkshire physiotherapist Kunwar Bansil

Yorkshire had to begin the defence of their county crown without seven first-choice players - captain Andrew Gale, who was completing a disciplinary ban at Worcester, and six away on Test duty with England in the West Indies.

They are reportedly considering whether to ask England if leg-spinner Adil Rashid, still uncapped after missing out on selection for the first two Tests, can return home early to bolster their squad.

Advertisement

Police: Howden cricket pavilion fire 'thought to have started deliberately'

Humberside police have appealed for witnesses after a fire burnt down Howden Cricket Club's pavilion last night.

They say the fire 'is thought to have been started deliberately' and have urged local residents to come forward with any information they may have.

Police say that two boys were thought to be at the scene prior to the fire starting and may be able to help with their enquiries.

Police were called by Humber Fire and Rescue at 1910hrs on Monday 6 March 2015 reporting that the cricket pavilion on the Ashes Playing Fields in Howden was on fire. The fire is thought to have been started deliberately and officers investigating the circumstances of the fire are asking for local residents to help catch those responsible. Police Crime Scene Investigators and Fire Investigation Officers from Humber Fire and Rescue are working together to establish circumstances of the fire. Two boys were thought to be at the scene prior to the fire starting and police are appealing for them to come forward to help with their enquiries.

– Humberside Police
Load more updates