The Government's most senior law officer urges High Court to quash original accidental death inquest verdicts returned after Hillsborough .
New laws giving extra powers to the police watchdog investigating the Hillsborough disaster are set to become law after clearing Parliament.
The issue of holding fresh inquests for the victims of he Hillsborough disaster is due to be discussed in Parliament.
Former Prime Minister Sir John Major has apologised to the families of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster for failing to launch the independent investigation they campaigned for.
The disaster, which killed 96 Liverpool fans in 1989, is at the centre of the biggest ever inquiry into police wrongdoing in the UK.
Last year a damning report by the Hillsborough Independent Panel found that South Yorkshire Police orchestrated a cover-up in the aftermath.
The lives of 41 fans could have been saved, the report concluded, as it cleared supporters of any wrongdoing or blame for the disaster.
Sir John said: "The Hillsborough report was pretty shocking. When there was agitation for a Hillsborough report we had pretty strong police views that there was no need for a report at the time and nowadays I'm not sure that assurance would ring as strongly as it did in the 1990s.
"Self-evidently the Hillsborough families who petitioned and demanded an independent report have been proven to be right and we must all say to them we are sorry, we should have dealt with it a good deal earlier and we should have listened a good deal more carefully.
"And I'm very happy to say that to the Hillsborough families today. We should have done more and I'm sorry in retrospect that we didn't.
"It is one of many things that you can look back on and regret."
The man leading the new criminal inquiry into the Hillsborough disaster says it's being treated as a manslaughter investigation.
Jon Stoddart has been giving his first television interviews since being appointed head of 'Operation Resolve'.
He says it will investigate all the agencies involved in the tragedy which cost 96 lives. Mr Stoddart has been talking to our correspondent Rachel Townsend.
Hillsborough camapigners have welcomed the announcement of a pre-inquest hearing into the deaths of the 96 victims.
The Judicial Office said it would be held in London on April 25 - probably with a live video link to Liverpool.
96 Liverpool fans died in the 1989 tragedy at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
The original inquest verdicts were quashed last year after a report revealed a cover-up. Lord Justice Goldring has been appointed coroner for the new hearings.
Hundreds of South Yorkshire police officers will be legally required to give evidence about their involvement in the Hillsborough disaster after emergency legislation was approved this afternoon by MPs.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission will be granted new powers to assist in their investigation into the police's role on the day of the tragedy which claimed the lives of 96 football fans.
This will include making it a legal requirement for serving officers to attend IPCC hearings if they are asked to do so. Previously they could refuse to attend. Minister of State for Police Damian Green MP spoke about it in the Commons.
An application to hold fresh inquests into the deaths of the Hillsborough disaster victims will be submitted to the High Court next month. Ninety six Liverpool fans died in the tragedy in nineteen eighty nine.
But earlier this year an independent panel found the inquest verdicts were severely lacking - prompting calls for fresh inquests to be held. Today in the Commons the Attorney General told MPs he had made "good progress" in preparing the application, but added it couldn't be fast-tracked.
– South Yorkshire Police statement
South Yorkshire Police acknowledges the decisions today by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and the Director of Public Prosecutions following the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s report and the online archive of documents relating to the 1989 Disaster.
The Force will continue to cooperate fully with any judicial processes, as shown by the full cooperation with the Panel during the three-year disclosure process. Chief Constable David Crompton has already stated in a letter to family members that he will not oppose any application for a new inquest.