The Government's most senior law officer urges High Court to quash original accidental death inquest verdicts returned after Hillsborough .
New laws giving extra powers to the police watchdog investigating the Hillsborough disaster are set to become law after clearing Parliament.
The issue of holding fresh inquests for the victims of he Hillsborough disaster is due to be discussed in Parliament.
Allegations that statements were altered and that misleading information was passed to the media and MPs will be investigated and could lead to police misconduct and criminal charges, the IPCC has said.
Claims that officers questioned bereaved next of kin about their loved ones' alcohol consumption, carried out alcohol testing and checked the police national computer to find information about the dead and injured could also lead to charges.
– Deborah Glass, Deputy Chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commission
We will investigate the role of South Yorkshire Police and West Midlands Police in these matters. This will mean that a large number of current and former officers will be under investigation, including Sir Norman Bettison, whose conduct was referred by the West Yorkshire Police Authority."
Sir Norman, currently Chief Constable of West Yorkshire, has been referred to the IPCC over allegations that he provided misleading information after the tragedy.
- It was revealed today that Sir Norman Bettison is also under investigation for allegations that he "attempted to influence the decision-making process of the West Yorkshire Police Authority in connection with the referral that they had made".
The biggest ever inquiry into police actions in the UK is to be launched after the on the Hillsborough disaster.
Police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said a large number of serving and former officers will be investigated over what happened on the day of the tragedy in 1989, and during the alleged cover-up afterwards.
Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer also said he will look at whether any individual or corporate body should be charged over the football stadium disaster, which left 96 people dead.
Thousands of official documents relating to the Hillsborough disaster will be published for the first time this week but tonight on ITV1 a programme will examine the disaster which claimed the lives of 96 football fans and the ongoing campaign their families have fought for justice.
The papers, some of which had been covered by the 30-year rule, come from the files of 80 organisations including the Government, South Yorkshire Police, City Council, and other emergency services involved in Britain's worst sporting disaster at Sheffield Wednesday's ground in April 1989.
Families will have the first access to more than four hundred thousand pages on Wednesday morning. And that programme - "Hillsborough : The Search for Truth" will broadcast on ITV1 tonight at 10.35pm