The developer that has drawn up plans for 350 new homes in Horncastle says it understands the concerns of residents about the scale of the proposal but insists it will provide much needed housing, in particular affordable homes for local people.
The proposals will provide economic benefits in the form of additional spending for local shops and services, as well as over £2m for the local community from the Government's New Homes Bonus scheme.
The planning application once submitted will include a comprehensive set of technical studies on matters such as drainage, highways, transport, ecology, landscape and archaeology. We have already undertaking a consultation exercise with the local community which has provided valuable feedback on residents' concerns about the development and we are endeavouring to address these where possible.
This is the field, currently used for growing crops, on Langton Hill in Horncastle which is at the centre of a deepening row over a proposed new housing estate. Developers have drawn up a proposal to put 350 houses on the land, angering residents nearby who have now formed an action group.
This map shows the site of the proposed new housing development in Horncastle. Within the red border up to 350 homes would be built in the yellow shaded areas. Landscaping would surround some roads (orange dotted lines) and a public right of way (yellow dotted line). A play area is also planned.
The land on Langton Hill is currently used for arable farming and is adjacent to other housing developments on Osborne Way, Baggaley Drive and Langton Hill.
Campaigners in the Lincolnshire market town of Horncastle are forming a group to oppose plans to put 350 new homes on a hill in the town. Members of the new Save Langton Hill group say the proposal is too big and would dominate the landscape of the town and its surrounding area.
Gladman Developments have drawn up an outline proposal for the site, which was shown off at a public exhibition last week. No formal planning application has yet been submitted but some residents say they are planning a leaflet drop to persuade those living nearby to object to the development.
Lincolnshire’s flood emergency response has entered its recovery phase.
Thursday’s freak weather brought heavy rainfall and even a tornado to Lincolnshire, resulting in flash floods, traffic accidents and road closures. Around 100 properties were damaged.
The highest level of rainfall was in Keelby, which had 63mm in around an hour.
One flood alert remains in place for the east and west fens, north of Boston, but the weather forecast shows further incidents are unlikely.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue responded to more than 150 calls.
"Teams from a number of organisations, including the district and county councils, Environment Agency, Anglian Water, drainage boards, fire and rescue, and police are now supporting the affected communities, which is our top priority._
“Thankfully nobody was seriously injured, but we recognise the on-going impact on those affected by these events. They will be our priority over the coming days. We are also working hard to repair damage. Anyone who needs help and advice should contact their local council._
“Once we are satisfied about the welfare of those affected, the county council will co-ordinate an investigation to determine what actions need to be taken by relevant public authorities to try to prevent this happening again.”_
“While the forecast says that further extreme weather is unlikely, we continue to monitor the situation so that we can respond quickly to any further incidents.”_
– David Powell, Joint Emergency Service in Lincolnshire