Live updates

OAP victim of £9,300 bogus cop scam

A fresh warning has been issued after a bogus police officer conned an 86-year-old Beverley man into handing over £9,300.

The incident happened on Tuesday, September 6, when the victim received a call from a man claiming to be working for the fraud squad.

The caller told the victim there had been suspicious activity on his account and advised him to withdraw his money immediately and provided details of a ‘safe’ account to pay it into.

The matter has been reported to the bank and Action Fraud and an investigation has been launched.

Officers from the Humberside Economic Crime unit have today reiterated advice on how to avoid falling foul of similar conmen.

The basics include:

• Never give out bank or personal details to strangers

• Don’t had over money or transfer funds to unknown accounts

• If you believe you have been called, hang up and use another phone to call police. Don’t use the same phone immediately as the offender may be maintaining the connection.

If you are called as part of this scam, make a note of the details – including the number the bogus caller has rung from – and call 101 or Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Advertisement

Man seriously injured in Grimsby assault

Officers remain at the scene in Humber Street Credit: Press Association

A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an alleged assault in Humber Street, Grimsby.

Humberside Police say the 28-year-old victim was approached by a group of three men known to him, who arrived in a car – possibly a Vauxhall Corsa – and are said to have assaulted him.

The incident happened at around 6.30am this morning and officers remain at the scene.

The victim is being treated at Hull Royal Infirmary. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

Cordon remains in place following evacuation in Bridlington

A cordon remains in place in the Oxford Street area of Bridlington following the execution of a warrant this morning.

Humberside Police say this was part of a pre-planned operation on the street following reports of illegal chemicals being stored at the property.

Specialist officers attended as part of the warrant and a 54-year-old man was arrested and is assisting police with enquiries.

As a precautionary safety measure houses in the immediate area were evacuated and at this time officers from the EOD remain in attendance making an assessment of a variety of substances within the property.

Our key priority is the safety of the public and we thank them for their patience and understanding whilst necessary enquiries are undertaken.

We are working hard to return things to normality at the earliest opportunity. At this time we expect the cordon to remain in place until at least 8 pm when a further review will be undertaken.

Should the cordon need to remain in place, provision is being made to accommodate residents who have been unable to make alternative arrangements overnight.

We are working in conjunction with partner agencies to ensure those affected are provided for and plans are in place should the situation continue.

– Superintendent Dave Houchin from Humberside Police's Community Safety Unit

Grimsby paedophile jailed for 18 years over rape of two girls in 1980s

David Woodhouse Credit: Humberside Police

A 65-year-old man has been jailed for 18 years after being found guilty of historic sex crimes against two girls.

David Woodhouse, formerly of Rothwell Avenue, Grimsby, was convicted of three rapes and 12 indecent assaults dating back to the 1980s.

David Woodhouse has been convicted following a painstaking investigation by Detective Helen Garrod from the Protecting Vulnerable People Unit. His two victims suffered the most unimaginable experiences that no child should ever have to and showed incredible courage and bravery throughout the investigation. I sincerely hope the victims will now be able to rebuild their lives again.

I welcome the verdict today and hope this sends a strong message to those victims who have never come forward but suffered abuse at any point in their lives. Humberside police will always listen and do everything we can to ensure your voice is heard and those guilty of such horrendous offences are caught and face justice.

– Detective Inspector Peter Thorp, protecting vulnerable people unit

Advertisement

CCTV released in hunt for Bridlington nursery burglar

Police are looking for this man Credit: Humberside Police

Police have issued a CCTV image of an intruder who broke into a children’s day nursery in Bridlington.

The burglar smashed the glass front door panel of the property on Queensgate between 4am and 4.40am yesterday before stealing an Asus laptop and cash.

Anyone with information should call Humberside Police on 101.

Elderly man hit by bin lorry in Hull

File image Credit: PA

An elderly man was hit by a bin lorry in Hull this morning.

The 82-year-old was taken to hospital after the incident in the Blundells Corner area of Beverley Road shortly after 6am.

The road was closed to allow officers to investigate but has now reopened.

It is not yet clear how serious the man's injuries are.

Witnesses should call Humberside Police on 101.

Hull nightclub arsonist jailed for six years

Scott Jackson Credit: Humberside Police

A man who set fire to a nightctlub in Hull while hundreds of people were inside has been jailed.

Scott Jackson started a blaze in the cleaners' store at the Valbon nightclub in February, causing £20,000 of damage.

The 24-year-old, who was drunk at the time and said he did not know why he had done it, admitted arson and was jailed for six years.

Police response: IPCC recommendations have been 'noted and acted upon'

In a statement, Assistant Chief Constable Lee Freeman, force lead for custody, said Humberside Police had assisted the IPCC fully in their investigation.

The police officers and staff involved in this matter have faced misconduct procedures and have now been dealt with appropriately with the exception of one detention officer who is currently going through the appeal process.

The IPCC report has made two recommendations for the force which we have noted and acted upon. All prisoners now have one clearly designated officer assigned to them on arrival in the custody suite to ensure the best level of care is provided. We also believe we have a sufficient stock of tracksuits now available to ensure we do not run short as happened on this occasion.

Annually around 18,000 people are brought into the custody suites across the force and the vast majority pass through without incident. Many of those who come into custody have a range of issues for custody staff to consider including drug and alcohol problems, mental health difficulties and other concerns which can make it a very difficult environment to manage.

All police officers and staff who work within the custody suites are involved in regular training and when incidents such as these occur we ensure any lessons learned are shared with staff to reduce the risk of similar occurrences happening again.

– Assistant Chief Constable Lee Freeman
Load more updates