The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating the death of a 46-year-old man in police custody.
At around 9.30 pm on Sunday 11 May, the man was arrested by West Yorkshire Police officers at Leeds General Infirmary on an outstanding warrant for theft offences.
He was taken to Elland Road police station, and placed in a cell in the custody suite.
He was found to be unresponsive when checked in his cell at 7 am on Monday 12 May, and despite attempts to resuscitate him, the man was confirmed dead around 45 minutes later.
The IPCC received a referral from West Yorkshire Police on Monday morning, and immediately declared an independent investigation. Investigators were deployed to the scene, and are continuing to carry out a number of inquiries today.
The result of a post-mortem examination yesterday was inconclusive and further tests are being carried out. HM Coroner has been informed. IPCC investigators are gathering initial accounts from officers and recovering CCTV footage from the custody suite.
IPCC Commissioner Cindy Butts said: "Any death in custody is a very serious matter, and we have begun an independent investigation to determine the full circumstances.
"We will be carrying out a thorough investigation into the man’s contact with police after he was arrested, and the treatment he received while in custody.
"We are in the process of making contact with the man’s relatives, and my thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.”
Speaking about the redacting of material from the BBC transcripts released today, acting BBC Director General Tim Davie said this has been done following advice from external lawyers and not to protect the BBC:
In one email headed "Jimmy Savile - paedophile", BBC producer Meirion Jones, who was involved in establishing the axed Newsnight report, flagged up the idea of an investigation just hours after the presenter's death was announced.
He proposed the suggestion, possibly for Panorama, because he said some of the girls who had been molested by Savile were ready to talk about their experiences.
He wrote: "Some of the girls are now prepared to talk about this which might make a core to a film about what Jimmy Savile really got up to - and of course he's dead so he can't sue."
His emails also contain vivid transcripts of the sexual activities in which girls at Duncroft approved school - where Savile was a regular visitor - were encouraged to take part.
He said in statement: "These documents paint a very unhappy picture, but theBBC needs to be open - more open than others would be - in confronting thefacts that lie behind Nick Pollard's report.
"A limited amount of text has been blacked out for legal reasons, but no one could say that the effect has been to sanitise this material, which again puts a spotlight on some of our failings. We need to acknowledge these shortcomings and learn from them."
He said: "...What struck me about it was his reply when I mentioned the reasons. He said: 'I'm sorry, I just can't do this'. And I thought that was a very, very unusual word to use, 'can't'...I didn't say 'what do you mean can't?' Someone has told you that you can't or you physically can't face it?
"Now I think there - my suspicion is that there may well have been an element of both."
Acting BBC director-general Tim Davie said: "The BBC has been open and transparent in its handling of this unhappy chapter in our history. It has not been an entirely comfortable process for us to go through but it is right that we did it this way.
"It is important that the BBC now moves forward with the lessons learned and continues to regain the public's trust."