A two week project to prevent landslips along the A639 in Stourton is starting next week.Following a major landslip in 2007, Leeds Council has been working to determine the cause, and subsequently design a solution to the subsidence along the A639, close to Valley Park Roundabout in Stourton.
The works will start on Tuesday 27 August, with work continuing on site for approximately 10 weeks.
To make the site safer, works will include adding a new drain to the carriageway, creating approximately 50m of green-slope retaining wall, and the full reconstruction of the nearside carriageway lane, adjacent to the new retaining structure.
One million cubic metres of material needs to be moved after a landslip in South Yorkshire.
The railway near Stainforth was damaged after a landslip caused by Hatfield Colliery. The line is not expected to be reopened until July.
While the colliery moves the spoil, Network Rail teams are clearing damaged vegetation, completing land investigations and finalising designs for the repair.
“Because of the nature of the material in the spoil heap the work to stabilise it and remove the material from the railway is complex and will take some time.
“Our estimate for the completed repair remains early July but this is an estimate. I thank passengers for their continued patience and assure them we are doing everything we can to restore a full service as quickly as possible.
– Phil Verster, route managing director for Network Rail
A North Yorkshire church, made famous in Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula - is not under threat - despite parts of its graveyard collapsing down a cliff.
A series of landslides has dislodged large banks of earth containing human bones from graves buried over hundreds of years.
But the Diocese of York - which is carrying out engineering work to stabalise the ground - says the church itself is not at risk of collapsing. We have spoken to Canon David Smith, the Rector or Whitby.
The painstaking work to dismantle five properties severely affected by subsidence in Aelfleda Terrace in Whitby is anticipated to be complete by the end of this week.
The three week step by step process, which has been carried out by specialist demolition contractors followed a landslip at the front of the properties last month that left them at serious risk of collapse.
Cllr Mike Cockerill, Scarborough Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Harbours, Assets, Coast and Flood Protection said: " We are currently finalising arrangements for the handover of the site back to the owners of the properties that have been demolished for their insurance companies
and loss adjusters to agree a way forward with regards to the reinstatement of the site and covering the cost of the loss of the properties.
As many parts of the Calendar region try to repair the damage done by the heavy weather earlier this week, some people have had to accept that they have lost everything. In Whitby today, work began to demolish five houses that have been condemned following a landslide on Tuesday night.
An operation to pull down a row of houses in Whitby in North Yorkshire which were left structurally unsafe following a landslip has started. The cottages on Aelfleda Terrace are being pulled down brick by brick by workman.