Water restrictions are being lifted at a sheltered accommodation block in Lincoln. They were put in place at St Botolphs Court last week after higher than recommended levels of the legionella bacteria were found in the pipework.
Laboratory tests show that work done to disinfect the water system has been successful. Residents will now be able to use the water for washing, bathing and food preparation, but restrictions on the use of showers will continue for the next few days.
Residents at a sheltered accommodation block in Lincoln are being provided with bottled water and off-site washing facilities after the bacteria legionella was discovered in the water system. Tonight they have issued a statement on the situation at St Botolph's Court, off the High Street.
Almost 12 times the safe level of the deadly bacteria legionella, which can develop into Legionnaires disease, has been discovered in the water system of a sheltered housing block in Lincoln.
Elderly residents at St Botolph's Court have now been provided with bottled water and off-site washing facilities. Other residents in the area are being reassured the problem is contained to this one site. Kate Hemingway reports.
City of Lincoln Council have revealed the levels of legionella bacteria found at a sheltered housing block in Lincoln were almost 12 times the safe level.
The council also says the water system is only checked every six months. They're now chemically flushing out the system, and say it's entirely a precautionary measure.
Legionella can cause Legionnaire's disease if it becomes airborne and water particles are inhaled.
Elderly residents have been told not to turn their taps on and have been provided with bottled water and off site washing facilities.
Elderly residents at a sheltered housing block in Lincoln are being offered bottled water to drink and off site washing facilities after the deadly bacteria legionella was discovered in the water system.
The bacteria, which was discovered at St Botolph's Court, is particularly dangerous if it becomes airborne as it can be inhaled and develop into the life threatening 'Legionnaire's disease' and pneumonia.
A specialist company is currently chemically flushing out the affected pipework.