Water restrictions are being lifted at a sheltered accommodation block in Lincoln. They were put in place at St Botolphs Court last week after higher than recommended levels of the legionella bacteria were found in the pipework.
Laboratory tests show that work done to disinfect the water system has been successful. Residents will now be able to use the water for washing, bathing and food preparation, but restrictions on the use of showers will continue for the next few days.
Residents of the sheltered accommodationwere kept fully informed throughout the cleansing process and have been co-operative and supportive of the decisions we made. We supplied more than 2,500 bottles of water to be used for drinking, food preparation and general use, together with alternative arrangements for bathing and laundry.
Initial test results are clear but the health and well-being of our residents is of the utmost importance and we will not put them at any risk and as a final precaution the shower areas will therefore remain out of use for a few more days until we receive the formal results from the laboratory. We appreciate this incident has been disruptive to residents and on behalf of the City Council I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank residents for their patience and support throughou
t the whole process. Their safety has and always will be our main priority."
– John Bibby, Director of Housing and Community Services, City of Lincoln Council
Residents at a sheltered accommodation block in Lincoln are being provided with bottled water and off-site washing facilities after the bacteria legionella was discovered in the water system. Tonight they have issued a statement on the situation at St Botolph's Court, off the High Street.
"The City of Lincoln Council has announced that it intends to continue with the decontamination of the pipework at St Botolph's Court over the coming weekend. Residents of the sheltered accommodation have been kept fully informed and are aware of the decision."
– John Bibby - Director of Housing and Community Services, City of Lincoln Council
Almost 12 times the safe level of the deadly bacteria legionella, which can develop into Legionnaires disease, has been discovered in the water system of a sheltered housing block in Lincoln.
Elderly residents at St Botolph's Court have now been provided with bottled water and off-site washing facilities. Other residents in the area are being reassured the problem is contained to this one site. Kate Hemingway reports.
Elderly residents at a sheltered housing block in Lincoln are being offered bottled water to drink and off site washing facilities after the deadly bacteria legionella was discovered in the water system.
The bacteria, which was discovered at St Botolph's Court, is particularly dangerous if it becomes airborne as it can be inhaled and develop into the life threatening 'Legionnaire's disease' and pneumonia.
A specialist company is currently chemically flushing out the affected pipework.