Live updates

Lawyer: Crucial evidence in Kercher trial ignored

Meredith Kercher's killer Raffaele Sollecito has insisted crucial evidence was ignored as he again protested his innocence.

Raffaele Sollecito Credit: Press Association

Sollecito and former girlfriend Amanda Knox were reconvicted of murdering the 21-year-old former Leeds student in the Italian town of Perugia in 2007 last month following a second trial.

But courts failed to properly examine evidence from a bloody footprint found at the murder scene, he claims.

Last month Knox, who did not attend her second trial, was sentenced to 28 years and six months while Sollecito was jailed for 25 years.

The pair were originally found guilty of murder in 2009, and were handed jail terms totalling more than 50 years before being cleared two years later. The appeal court went on to order a fresh trial in March last year.

Advertisement

  1. National

Raffaele Sollecito 'innocent and disappointed'

Raffaele Sollecito says he is "disappointed" that his acquittal has been overturned in Italy.

Raffaele Sollecito seen in court in 2011 Credit: Reuters

Speaking to the Italian news agency, ANSA, Lawyer, Luca Mauri said: "Today is his birthday, he's 29. He shouldn't be disappointed because he's innocent. He thought the end could be coming to this affair".

  1. National

Six year saga of Meredith Kercher murder

Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been ordered to face retrial for the murder of British exchange student Meredith Kercher.

Meredith's body was found in her apartment in Perugia on November 2, 2007. Here are the key events in the six year saga:

  • November 6, 2007: Amanda Knox is arrested along with Raffaele Sollecito, and Diya "Patrick" Lumumba, the owner of a pub Knox occasionally worked. Lumumba released due to lack of evidence.
  • December 6, 2007: Ivory coast national Rudy Guede extradited from Germany and arrested upon arrival in Italy
  • October 28, 2008: Judge indicts Knox and Sollecito on murder and sexual assault charges. Guede convicted of murder and sexual assault and sentenced to 30 years
  • December 4, 2009: Knox and Sollecito found guilty of murder and sexual assualt, sentenced to 25 years.
  • November 24, 2010: Appeal trials for Knox and Sollecito open
  • June 29, 2011: Independent forensics report finds much of DNA evidence used in trial by prosecution is unreliable
  • October 3, 2011: Knox and Sollecito cleared of the murder of Meredith Kercher.

Advertisement

  1. National

Meredith's sister 'hopes to find answers' from retrial

Speaking to ITV News from the family home in Coulsdon in south London, Meredith Kercher's sister Stephanie said:

We welcome the news in the sense that we hope to find the answers. We are never going to be happy about any outcome because we have still lost Meredith but we obviously support the decision and hope to get answers from it.

There are still so many unanswered questions, all we have ever wanted to do is do what we can for Meredith and to find out the truth of what happened that night.

Rudy Guede's conviction was on the basis that there was more than one person there so that is something that needs to be looked into.

  1. National

How extradition requests work between Italy & the US

  • The US and Italy brought an extradition treaty into force in 1984
  • It obliges each country to extradite anyone charged with or convicted of an extraditable offence by a jail sentence of more than one year
  • In this case, Italy must give the US specific documents to show they have "probable cause to believe" that Meredith Kercher was murdered, and Miss Knox committed the offence
  1. National

Amanda Knox full statement after retrial decision

It was painful to receive the news that the Italian Supreme Court decided to send my case back for revision when the prosecution's theory of my involvement in Meredith's murder has been repeatedly revealed to be completely unfounded and unfair.

I believe that any questions as to my innocence must be examined by an objective investigation and a capable prosecution.

The prosecution responsible for the many discrepancies in their work must be made to answer for them, for Raffaele's sake, my sake, and most especially for the sake of Meredith's family.

Our hearts go out to them. No matter what happens, my family and I will face this continuing legal battle as we always have, confident in the truth and with our heads held high in the face of wrongful accusations and unreasonable adversity.

– Amanda Knox
Load more updates