Live updates

Has Zayn Malik been working with producer since January?

A music producer who tweeted Zayn Malik's first solo track last night has reportedly been working with the former One Direction star since January.

Naughty Boy tweeted a snap alongside Zayn at the beginning of the year. It has now led fans to speculate that the Bradford singer was planning to leave the boy band for some time.

The producer, a close friend of Zayn, tweeted a link to the Bradford singer's first solo song last night:

Advertisement

Zayn Malik: The band has been really supportive

Zayn Malik has denied that there has been any negativity between him and the rest of the band, before or after he made his decision to quit One Direction.

Credit: Press Association

And he insists he did not compare his situation to that of Robbie Williams who left Take That in 1995 due to ill-feeling among the group.

"My band has been really supportive", he told The Sun.

Malik revealed that the rest of the band, Harry Styles, 21, Louis Tomlinson, 23, Niall Horan, 21, and Liam Payne, 21, are keen to keep going as One Direction.

I still want them to do it for a while ... I think they're going to do OK for a while. I think they're going to be cool.

– Zayn Malik

Zayn Malik 'upset' for One Direction fans

Zayn Malik has spoken out for the first time since he announced he was leaving One Direction and said he feels "upset" for letting the fans down.

Zayn Malik has spoken out for the first time since he announced he was leaving One Direction and said he feels "upset" for letting the fans down.

The 22-year-old singer, from Bradford, quit the boy band's world tour last week after being "signed off with stress" and returned to the UK. On Wednesday he announced he was splitting from 1D for good to live a "normal life".

I did try to do something that I wasn't happy doing for a while ... I only ever tried to do it for the fans.

I'm only upset because I feel like I may have let them down in some sort of way. It's not that I've turned my back on them or anything, it's just that I can't do that any more because it's not real to me.

– Zayn Malik

Malik denied there had been any negativity between him and the rest of the band, before or after he made his decision.

And he insisted he did not compare his situation to that of Robbie Williams who left Take That in 1995 due to ill-feeling among the group.

"My band has been really supportive", he insisted.

Malik revealed that the rest of the band, Harry Styles, 21, Louis Tomlinson, 23, Niall Horan, 21, and Liam Payne, 21, are keen to keep going as One Direction.

I still want them to do it for a while ... I think they're going to do OK for a while. I think they're going to be cool.

– Zayn Malik

Shortly before Malik quit the band's tour, a picture emerged of him with his arm around a girl in a nightclub in Thailand.

But he stated he is still engaged to long-term partner Perrie Edwards, of Little Mix.

She's a good girl ... she's always supportive" he said of her.

  1. National

Niall thanks One Direction fans for 'incredible' support

One Direction's Niall Horan has thanked the band's fans for their support following Zayn Malik's departure.

  1. National

Louis thanks fans for support after Zayn departure

One Direction star Louis Tomlinson has tweeted his thanks to fans for their support after the shock departure of bandmate Zayn Malik.

As the remaining four members vowed to carry on with the global phenomenon that is 1D, Tomlinson said they would work "harder than ever" on their planned fifth album, making it the "best ever".

Advertisement

  1. National

Former X Factor contestants wish Zayn 'best of luck'

Fellow former X-Factor boyband members have tweeted messages of support for Zayn Malik tonight after the One Direction star made the decision to quit the band.

Aston Merrygold, of JLS fame, and Union J's Josh Cuthbert both tweeted the star the "best of luck" following the announcement of his departure:

  1. National

ChildLine: Don't undermine how distressing Zayn news could be for fans

Counselling service ChildLine have warned that young people may be feeling "very distressed" after hearing the news that Zayn Malik has left boyband One Direction, and urged adults not to "undermine" these feelings.

Sue Minto, head of ChildLine, said: "There are young people who are going to feel seriously distressed at the news, and people are going to have to get their head around the fact that for some this will be very distressing and not to undermine it, even if they don't quite understand it."

She added: "Lots of people have pop stars or celebrities or actors who they hold in high esteem, and there is a lot of sadness and impact for people when something happens to any of them."

Anyone who is feeling distressed can contact ChildLine by calling 0800 11 11 or visit www.childline.org.uk.

  1. National

Stars send messages of support to One Direction

Former X Factor judge Gary Barlow and McFly drummer Harry Judd have tweeted messages of support to the remaining members of One Direction, departing band member Zayn Malik, and the band's fans tonight.

The stars tweeted:

Load more updates