Richard Hammond has taken to Twitter to express his thanks to the people that saved his life following an accident 10 years ago.Read the full story ›
He bagged Gold alongside his diving partner Chris Mears in the synchronised 3 metre springboard final - but what do we know about him?Read the full story ›
Fire crews were called to rescue an elderly woman who was trapped in public toilets in Ripon.
They were called to the conveniences in Market Place yesterday evening and used ladders to help her out.
Unique and poignant footage has been released showing First World War soldiers at Ripon Racecourse weeks before they went to the front line.Read the full story ›
An elderly couple who have lived in a hotel since December after a car smashed into their home have finally had the vehicle removed.Read the full story ›
An elderly couple from North Yorkshire are still living in a hotel - two months after a car smashed into their home.
John and Joyce Irvin, who are 86 and 81, escaped injury when a car drove into the side of their home in Sharow, near Ripon on on December 30th.
The car still has not been removed and builders have told the Irvins they can't start repair work until it is.
It was about one o clock when it happened and we were watching the news. There was a massive bang and part of the mantelpiece fell off. The car had come across the road, hit a kerb and spun round into our house. The police came then the fire and ambulance, it was like a war zone.
Since then we've got at the back of a queue for the damage to be looked at because of the floods. Now we're waiting for the drivers' insurance. It's been a long time and it really gets to Joyce.
Mrs Irvin was sitting in the room where the wall was hit by the car.
People tell me I was very lucky. The hotel is nice but it's not our home.
Storm Desmond has swept across our region causing extensive damage to properties.
Two lanes are closed and there is queueing traffic due to a multi-vehicle accident on A1(M) Southbound between J48 A168 / A6055 (Boroughbridge) and J47 A168 / A59 (Allerton Park).
A lorry involved in the accident is reported to be leaking its load of cooking oil onto the carriageway. The road was fully blocked but one lane has now reopened. The delays are affecting traffic towards Wetherby from Ripon.
Outwood Academy school in Ripon has confirmed that pupils fainted during a remembrance service this morning.
This morning 4 students fainted during the remembrance service assembly at Outwood Academy Ripon.
One of these students bumped their head when they fainted and was taken to the local walk-in minor incident centre in Ripon as a precaution.
Following the assembly, a further 20 students presented themselves during the course of the morning complaining of feeling faint and dizzy. At this point the Academy, again as a precaution, called an ambulance.
The ambulance service took the decision to escalate the matter as there were more than 3 potential causalities, as is their normal procedure, and the Police and Fire Service attended the site.
The emergency services have undertaken tests on the site and have quickly established that there was no chemicals or hazardous gases were present.
A total of 40 students were treated on site, however, all were able to be released back to their lessons, or at the end of the school day.
We thank the emergency services for their speedy response in attending the academy site and making the safety of our students and staff paramount.
We also thank parents, carers and the community for giving the academy the space and time to deal with this matter and know that they would always expect us to follow the instruction of the emergency services until we are satisfied that their children are not at risk.
The academy will be open as normal tomorrow.
The Harrogate and Distrct NHS Trust has released a statement following sickness among up to 40 pupils at the Outwood Academy.
The trust said: "Two children were seen by a Nurse Practitioner at our Ripon Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) this afternoon. Neither child had a significant medical problem and both were discharged home. No patients have been admitted to our Emergency Department as a result of this incident."