Ukip candidate in Rotherham, Jane Collins, says she is expecting a close count.
The Mayor of Rotherham, Cllr John Foden, has told ITV Calendar that vote turnout is believed to be more than 70 per cent in the region.
The mayor of Rotherham tells @itvcalendar suggestion is a massive increase in turnout at the polls ...over 70 per cent this time 33 last
The estimated declaration time from the Magna Centre is 03:00.
Counting is underway at Magna Centre in Rotherham.
A 51-year-old man has been jailed for 23 years after being convicted of committing 43 sexual offences against boys during the 1980s and 1990s.
Darren Swift, of Lawrence Road in Telford, went on trial in October last year charged with a number of sexual offences.
A jury found Swift guilty of 26 counts of indecent assault, 12 counts of indecency and five counts of buggery after a two-week trial.
Today at Sheffield Crown Court he was jailed for 23 years for the offences.
The offences spanned a 17-year period between 1980 and 1997 in Rotherham, while Swift worked at various local sporting clubs and youth groups.
The charges relate to four boys who were aged between eight and 14 while the abuse took place.
Each victim was subjected to years of abuse by this man who held several positions of trust for various community groups, where he met and effectively groomed these vulnerable young boys for his own sexual gratification. I again pay tribute to the victims who had the courage to come forward and disclose their ordeal to police. Because Swift continually denied his guilt, each victim was forced to relive their traumatic experience in front of a jury, which is further testament to their strength of character. I hope that for the victims, this marks the conclusion of years of torment for them and their families and they can now begin to move forward with their lives knowing their abuser is behind bars. South Yorkshire Police is committed to tackling child sexual abuse and bringing offenders to justice. We would urge anyone who has concerns about a child at risk, or who wishes to report abuse, to come forward and report this dreadful crime.
Lawyer calls for national inquiry into alleged failures by police to investigate child sexual exploitation in South Yorkshire.Read the full story ›
Rotherham have decided against appealing the three-point deduction handed down by the Football League for fielding an ineligible player.
The Millers were docked the points and handed a £30,000 fine, half of which is suspended, for playing Farrend Rawson in Easter Monday's 1-0 win over Brighton after being found guilty by a three-man football disciplinary commission last week.
That punishment dragged Steve Evans' side back into a Sky Bet Championship relegation fight but it became academic after they took four points from their last two games, with Tuesday's 2-1 win over Reading confirming their status in the division.
The South Yorkshire club were given until Friday to lodge an appeal, but despite insisting the punishment was "disproportionate" they opted to accept it.
Having secured our Championship place for next season on the pitch on Tuesday night, the board has decided not to appeal against the decision to deduct us three points.
We still believe the decision to deduct three points for fielding a player as a result of an honest human error, where there was no intention to gain an unfair advantage, was disproportionate.
Our mistake did not affect the integrity of this year's competition, but if we had been relegated in the place of a team that had secured fewer points on the pitch over the season, that would have been a gross injustice.
As the appeal is now academic we have decided to support others who feel that it is time to change this particular rule rather than go through the appeal process.
We would like to thank all of those at other clubs who offered us their support and sympathy during this process.
Now we wish to draw a line under this matter and look forward to next season.
A 14 and 16-year-old girl were arrested last night after reports of a large number of young people on Morrell Street in Maltby behaving in an antisocial manner.
Officers located approximately 50 young teens on Muglet Lane and Coronation Park.
A dispersal order was put in place to disperse the large group and officers remained in the area throughout the evening.
The two girls were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and have been bailed pending further enquiries.
We believe this large gathering may have been pre-arranged and organised on social media.
I would like to send out a very clear message that we will not tolerate any form of antisocial or violent behaviour and action will be taken if you choose to behave in this manner. Extra officers will be in Maltby this evening on patrol to provide reassurance to residents and to provide an immediate response should there be any further, unacceptable behaviour in the area.
Police have appealed for information about a man from Rotherham wanted on a recall to prison for breach of his licence.
Shane Delaney was released from prison on licence last year after serving a sentence for burglary, however he breached the conditions of his licence and is now wanted by police on a recall to prison.
He is approximately 5ft 9ins tall and of a medium build with short dark brown hair.
He has connections in Malby aswell as in the Neepsend area of Sheffield.
Emily Hepworth, 17, who was missing from Rotherham has been found, say police.