Leeds Rhinos have unveiled a limited edition kit that they will wear for the Challenge Cup final at Wembley, as they look to retain the trophy they won a year ago.
This year’s Wembley showcase on Saturday 29th August is almost 120 years to the day since the meeting at the George Hotel in Huddersfield that signaled the formation of Rugby League and Leeds will revert back to their traditional colours for the day.
Leeds wore a white kit when they first lifted the Challenge Cup back in 1910 and 105 years later, they will once again wear white on the biggest day of the year whilst incorporating the club’s famous blue and amber bands in the design.
The Rhinos beat St Helens 24-14 to reach their fifth Challenge Cup final in six years.
Leeds Rhinos are through to their fifth Challenge Cup final in six years after a hard-fought 24-14 victory over St Helens at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
The Rhinos took a 12-4 lead going into half-time courtesy of tries from Zak Hardaker and Joel Moon. They extended their advantage after the break when Jamie Peacock crossed over. However, the Saints fought back with two tries to pull the score back to 18-14. Kallum Watkins crossed over with his 17th try of the season to restore Leeds' two score lead, and the Rhinos held on to secure another trip to Wembley.
Hull KR will be hoping to make it an all-Yorkshire final when they take on Warrington Wolves in the second semi-final on Saturday.
Hull FC say they have been told by Stadium Management Company (SMC) that the North Stand at the KC Stadium will be closed from 2016 due to cost cutting measures.
As a result, away supporters will be relocated to the north end of the East Stand - the same section of the stadium that is now used for Hull City football fixtures.
The closure is part of a cost cutting exercise by the Stadium Management Company and not a decision made by Hull FC.
Whilst we're extremely disappointed by this decision, we understand the financial reasons involved.
Leeds Rhinos take on St Helens tonight in the Challenge Cup Semi Finals.
Rhinos head coach Brian McDermott says winning it last year has made his side hungry as ever:
Hull prop Liam Watts is facing a heavy suspension after being charged with biting an opponent.
The 25-year-old former Hull KR forward is accused of biting fellow front rower Adam Walker in the Hull derby at the KC Lightstream Stadium a fortnight ago.
Watts was charged by the Rugby Football League's match review panel, which normally makes its recommendations on the Monday after each game but were forced to wait for the findings of a formal investigation into the incident.
Watts is facing a grade E offence, which carries a ban of between four and eight matches.
He has started each of Hull's last 16 matches but, if he is found guilty and handed the most severe punishment, his season would be over.
Watts does not have the option of submitting an early-guilty plea and so will appear before an independent disciplinary tribunal next Tuesday, three days before Hull play the first of seven matches in the Super 8s.
The Super 8s rugby league fixtures for 2015 have been released.
The full schedule is as follows:
First Utility Super League Super 8s – Round by Round
- 06 August 2015 Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants 8.00pm
- 07 August 2015 Castleford Tigers v Hull FC 8.00pm
- 07 August 2015 Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves 8.00pm
- 08 August 2015 Catalans Dragons v St Helens 6.00pm
- 13 August 2015 Castleford Tigers v Warrington Wolves 8.00pm
- 14 August 2015 Huddersfield Giants v Catalans Dragons 8.00pm
- 14 August 2015 Leeds Rhinos Wigan v Warriors 8.00pm
- 14 August 2015 St Helens v Hull FC 8.00pm
- 20 August 2015 St Helens v Huddersfield Giants 8.00pm
- 21 August 2015 Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors 8.00pm
- 21 August 2015 Hull FC v Leeds Rhinos 8.00pm
- 22 August 2015 Catalans Dragons v Castleford Tigers 6.00pm
- 03 September 2015 Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers 8.00pm
- 04 September 2015 Leeds Rhinos v St Helens 8.00pm
- 05 September 2015 Wigan Warriors v Catalans Dragons 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Warrington Wolves v Hull FC 3.00pm
- 10 September 2015 Castleford Tigers v St Helens 8.00pm
- 11 September 2015 Wigan Warriors v Hull FC 8.00pm
- 12 September 2015 Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos 6.00pm
- 13 September 2015 Huddersfield Giants v Warrington Wolves 3.00pm
- 17 September 2015 Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers 8.00pm
- 18 September 2015 Hull FC v Huddersfield Giants 8.00pm
- 18 September 2015 St Helens v Wigan Warriors 8.00pm
- 19 September 2015 Warrington Wolves v Catalans Dragons 3.00pm
- 25 September 2015 Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos 8.00pm
- 25 September 2015 Hull FC v Catalans Dragons 8.00pm
- 25 September 2015 St Helens v Warrington Wolves 8.00pm
- 25 September 2015 Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers 8.00pm
The Qualifiers Super 8s – Round by Round
- 08 August 2015 Leigh Centurions v Hull KR 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 Bradford Bulls v Sheffield Eagles 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 Halifax RLFC v Widnes Vikings 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 Salford Red Devils v Wakefield Wildcats 3.00pm
- 15 August 2015 Wakefield Wildcats v Bradford Bulls 3.00pm
- 16 August 2015 Hull KR v Halifax RLFC 3.00pm
- 16 August 2015 Salford Red Devils v Leigh Centurions 3.00pm
- 16 August 2015 Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles 3.00pm
- 22 August 2015 Leigh Centurions v Wakefield Wildcats 3.00pm
- 23 August 2015 Bradford Bulls v Salford Red Devils 3.00pm
- 23 August 2015 Sheffield Eagles v Halifax RLFC 4.15pm
- 23 August 2015 Widnes Vikings v Hull KR 3.00pm
- 05 September 2015 Halifax RLFC v Salford Red Devils 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Bradford Bulls v Widnes Vikings 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Hull KR v Wakefield Wildcats 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles 3.00pm
- 12 September 2015 Wakefield Wildcats v Widnes Vikings 6.00pm
- 13 September 2015 Halifax RLFC v Leigh Centurions 3.00pm
- 13 September 2015 Hull KR v Bradford Bulls 3.00pm
- 13 September 2015 Salford Red Devils v Sheffield Eagles 3.00pm
- 18 September 2015 Sheffield Eagles v Hull KR 7.45pm
- 19 September 2015 Wakefield Wildcats v Halifax RLFC 6.00pm
- 20 September 2015 Leigh Centurions v Bradford Bulls 3.00pm
- 20 September 2015 Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils 3.00pm
- 27 September 2015 Bradford Bulls v Halifax RLFC 3.00pm
- 27 September 2015 Hull KR v Salford Red Devils 3.00pm
- 27 September 2015 Sheffield Eagles v Wakefield Wildcats 3.00pm
- 27 September 2015 Widnes Vikings v Leigh Centurions 3.00pm
Kingstone Press Championship Shield Super 8s – Round by Round
- 09 August 2015 Dewsbury Rams Hunslet Hawks 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 Featherstone Rovers Whitehaven 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 London Broncos Doncaster 3.00pm
- 09 August 2015 Workington Town Batley Bulldogs 3.00pm
- 15 August 2015 Whitehaven v London Broncos 6.30pm
- 16 August 2015 Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams 3.00pm
- 16 August 2015 Doncaster v Featherstone Rovers 2.00pm
- 16 August 2015 Hunslet Hawks v Workington Town 3.00pm
- 23 August 2015 Dewsbury Rams v Whitehaven 3.00pm
- 23 August 2015 Doncaster v Batley Bulldogs 2.00pm
- 23 August 2015 London Broncos v Hunslet Hawks 3.00pm
- 23 August 2015 Workington Town v Featherstone Rovers 3.00pm
- 31 August 2015 Dewsbury Rams v London Broncos 3.00pm
- 31 August 2015 Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs 3.00pm
- 31 August 2015 Whitehaven v Hunslet Hawks 3.00pm
- 31 August 2015 Workington Town v Doncaster 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Batley Bulldogs v Whitehaven 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Featherstone Rovers v Dewsbury Rams 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 Hunslet Hawks v Doncaster 3.00pm
- 06 September 2015 London Broncos v Workington Town 3.00pm
- 11 September 2015 Hunslet Hawks v Featherstone Rovers 7.30pm
- 13 September 2015 Doncaster v Dewsbury Rams 2.00pm
- 13 September 2015 London Broncos v Batley Bulldogs 3.00pm
- 13 September 2015 Workington Town v Whitehaven 3.00pm
- 19 September 2015 Whitehaven v Doncaster 6.30pm
- 20 September 2015 Batley Bulldogs v Hunslet Hawks 3.00pm
- 20 September 2015 Dewsbury Rams v Workington Town 3.00pm
- 20 September 2015 Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos 3.00pm
- October 3-4 – First Utility Super League Super 8s semi-finals and The Million Pound Game
- October 4 – Kingstone Press Championship Shield Final
- October 10 – First Utility Super League Grand Final
Wakefield are considering a ground share with Dewsbury next season, Rams chairman Mark Sawyer has revealed.
The Wildcats announced a month ago that they had issued a six-month notice to ground owners Bank of Ireland to leave Belle Vue, which has been their home for 120 years, because the rent was "unsustainable".
The club had hoped to move to a new 12,000 community stadium as part of a 100-acre business park just off the M62, but those plans have stalled and Wakefield chairman Michael Carter has ruled out sharing Castleford's proposed new ground.
It was thought the Wildcats were considering Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium as an option while Sawyer announced on his club's website that the Championship outfit have entered in to discussions with Wakefield over a possible ground-share at The Tetley's Stadium in 2016.
The Wildcats are considering possible avenues for a playing venue for next season and they have ear-marked The Tetley's Stadium as a serious option. We are looking at this very seriously, in constant and current liaison with Wakefield, and further announcements will be made should there be any developments in the weeks ahead.
Carter has maintained that his club would be willing to stay at Belle Vue if the rent can be renegotiated.
York City Knights Rugby League Club has officially signed an agreement with City of York Council over a new Community Stadium partnership.
The York Community Stadium will provide a new 8,000 seat stadium for football and rugby league, a leisure facility which will include a gym, 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool, a fun pool and training pool, as well as a new sports hall and dance studio.
Leeds Rhinos have signed Australian international Keith Galloway for 2016Read the full story ›
Danny Sculthorpe has been awarded compensation after a training injury which led to Bradford Bulls cancelling a three-year contractRead the full story ›