Selby's new leisure centre has opened to the public for the first time.
It replaces the former Abbey Leisure Centre on Scott Road which burned down two years ago. The new centre has been built with the aid of two million pounds of funding from Sport England. Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington from Mansfield will mark the official completion of the seven million pound project in a ceremony next weekend.
A man in his thirties is in hospital after a collision in Selby.
It happened on the night of Tuesday 24 February 2015 at 11.15pm.
The man was a pedestrian and the collision happened with an Audi. The driver, a man aged in his twenties, from the Goole area was uninjured.
A North Yorkshire factory which supplies fresh fruit to supermarkets is to close, putting 445 jobs at risk, after it lost a crucial contract with Asda.
Employees at Yorkshire Fresh Fruit (YFF) in Camblesforth, near Selby, were told the news by Icelandic parent company Bakkovor on Friday.
Bakkavor can confirm it is entering into a period of consultation with all 445 employees at its Yorkshire Fresh Fruit (YFF) business in Selby, North Yorkshire with regard to a proposed closure of the YFF business following the loss of a major customer.
The consultation process will last 45 days during which time YFF will be working closely with UNITE, the recognised union for the site, as well as considering all representations made on behalf of the Company’s employees. Bakkavor appreciates that this is an unsettling and difficult time for everyone at YFF and would like to stress that this proposal in no way reflects the commitment and hard work of the employees at the site. The Company will work closely with elected staff representatives to keep all staff appropriately updated throughout the consultation period.
Some of our region's best up and coming new film-makers have spent the day shooting the final scenes of a movie they're planning on taking to the world's best known film festival. Rossi Pictures are building on the success of a short film they showed in Cannes last year with a new film following a group of British soldiers which has been shot around Yorkshire. James Webster has spent the day behind the scenes in Selby:
Selby Abbey and Castle Howard in North Yorkshire are expected to benefit from an influx of Asian tourists after the two venues hosted the wedding celebrations of the Taiwanese pop star Jay Chou.
The star, who has sold 30 million albums, was once called the 'Asian King of Pop' by the Asian version of Time magazine.
On Sunday, he married the Australian model Hannah Quinlavin at Selby Abbey, before hosting a party reportedly costing £2m for 50 friends and relatives at Castle Howard. The house and grounds were closed for the day.
There is huge interest in the wedding in East Asia. One magazine described fans in China as 'heartbroken'. His name was reportedly searched more than 520 million times on the social network Weibo over the weekend.
Jay Chou has posted these pictures of people who waited for him outside the venues in North Yorkshire and thanked fans for their support.
The star also posted his wedding video to his Facebook page: www.facebook.com/jay
Wildlife sanctuary nursing storm-battered animals back to healthRead the full story ›
Major plans for new leisure facilities in Selby have been unveiled.
A submission to Selby District Council’s planning committee details a leisure village proposal, which will be built alongside the new Scott Road leisure centre when it opens next year.
If given the go-ahead, the site will include an indoor ski slope, a five-lane ten-pin bowling alley, an indoor skate and BMX park, an indoor adventure play area, and a high ropes area.
A report submitted to planners said the site would complement the more traditional sports facilities at the leisure centre, which include a six-lane 25m swimming pool and a learner pool, a studio gym, sauna and steam rooms and an outdoor all-weather sports pitch.
A decision is expected on the plans in February.
A 59-year-old man from Scarborough has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for the historic sexual abuse of a young girl.
Peter Philip Wallis, now of Thornden Buildings, Selby appeared at York Crown Court on Friday November 21, 2014, when he pleaded guilty to six counts of rape, three counts of indecent assault and one of gross indecency.
The offences took place between 1985 and 1994 in Scarborough.
"Wallis is an evil man who subjected his victim to sustained abuse over a number of years.
He has thankfully been imprisoned for a substantial length of time for his utterly appalling crimes.
“I would like to take the opportunity to praise the victim for her courage in coming forward and reporting these distressing crimes she was subjected to by Wallis.”
Manchester United striker Radamel Falcao's father says he tried to get his son a British passport back when he was a teenager.Read the full story ›
It has been a day to remember for the Deputy Mayor of Selby who has been to Buckingham Palace, where he was honoured by the Queen. It's an achievement made all the more remarkable because councillor Gavin Harding is thought to be the first person in Europe with a learning disability to hold a mayoral position. Grace Melody-Gardner reports.